What do people use for water containers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now, I'm using a 22 gallon square container with a lid from Walmart. I'm finding it difficult to keep up with water changes for both a 29gallon mantis tank, and a 110 gallon main tank with 50 gallon sump. Before I added the 29 gallon, and 50 gallon sump, I was doing 20gallon changes on the 110 every other week with no problems. Now, I'm having a hard time keeping Nitrates below 20. I'm looking for something to hold 50 gallons so that I can have 50 gallons ready to go at all times, and do more frequent or larger water changes. What do people use here? Just a regular trash barrel with a lid? Are there chemicals that I need to be aware of? Brands to stay away from. Should I invest in a 50 gallon plastic drum?

Any suggestion would be recommeded. I'm starting to see algae again, and I'd rather not go through that battle again.

Thanks.

- Skins

I went to a feed store and bought a 55g water storage container to hold my water for my move. It worked great. Check and see if their is something like that near you. It has a breather on top and a drain spout on the bottom to which you can attach a pump if need be.

How about a large trash can (plastic), with wheels. I have read that others use one and wheel it to the tank/s for PWCs. I also read to make sure you don't get one with a mildew coating....

angelscrx said:
I went to a feed store and bought a 55g water storage container to hold my water for my move. It worked great. Check and see if their is something like that near you. It has a breather on top and a drain spout on the bottom to which you can attach a pump if need be.
Rubbermaid makes one of those. We use them for the cattle and they are incredibly durable. A 2200 pound bull can sit on one or kick it and it wont get damaged.

I use the 44g trashcans on wheels. Got 2 of'm, one for fresh and the other for the salt mix. In the salt mix can, I have a heater and a pump. I believe I got a 90 gph or so pump and 6 foot hose submerged in the SW can for aireation. I use the same pump/hose when I whhel the cans to the tanks and replace water.

You can also put a float device on the can at the top to turn off RO/DI water when it fills.

Back
Top Bottom