What do you cycle your aquariums with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tqy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started to cycle my 10 gal tank today but I couldn't find pure ammonia in the Lfs or cleaning section of grocery stores(as I heard it can be found there) my parents really did not want me putting a piece of raw prawn in the tank as it would smell so I wondered what you guys cycled your tanks with?And what can I use to cycle my tank? (Try to suggest something that is easy to find) Thanks Guys!!

Would dirty aquarium water work?Besides that what else is an ammonia source that I can use?

I generally just stuff a second sponge in with a cycled sponge in a large filter i have with space for it. I make sure the water is flowing towards the new sponge. If you don't have a cycled filter to start this you could also try dissolved fish food.

Everybody is different. I cycle mine(with plants) for two to three months before adding fish. I like for my water to age. Having said that, you may use filter media from an established tank, add friendly bacteria like Biozyme or equivalent. I don't think the dirty water will suffice for cycling. Cycling can not and will not be rushed. Now, I'll put my flame suit on!

You could use fish food (flakes, freeze dried, pellets, granules). Just put it into a nylon bag (or sock, hosiery) to make cleanup easier.

Just get a thing of frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp and throw a couple cubes in there, leave it for 10-12 days and check it out..

The fish food method is very messy. I'd try your local hardware stores. They usually have pure ammonia.

I found suitable ammonia at Harris Teeter grocery stores. Only needed 20-30 mL out of the gallon jug.
Fish food sources can be messy; nylon bag should help with the cleanup.

Couldn't you just throw the fish food right in the filter?? No mess.. Faster processing with all the water movement??

I ordered Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride for Fishless Cycling. Works well and it was only 7 bucks shipped. I also used seeded media from a member here. Two weeks later I'm fully cycled.

I found my ammonia at ACE. Janitorial strength. But I used 4ml and won't ever touch the rest, I'm wishing I'd ordered that $7 kit online. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom