What do you guys think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marty20

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am thinking about starting a 2.5 gallon pico tank, possibly a coral garden with a clown goby but also possibly a dwarf seahorse tank in the distant future. in the meantime i want to get the coral garden going and want to know about cycling a tank like this, i watched a video with the link posted below where the use of bottled bacteria was used to quickly cycle the tank. Im interested in this to try and keep this small aquarium as "clean" as possibly. i planned on using dry rock and sand because i dont trust my lfs and dont feel like dealing with hitchhikers. so down the road the seahorses wont have anything in the tank that could possibly harm them. So i guess im asking what are peoples experience with this kind of stuff and how would you recommend i cycle such a small aquarium? Cycling a Saltwater Aquarium

Thanks in advance!

I used bio spira in my 20 gallon long. I poured the bottle in and added two clowns. Most people will tell you that this is not the recomended way of doing things. Worked great for me. No major spike in anything. Been running for over a year now. With my new set up I think I am going to use dr. Tim's one and only. I have read better reviews of it.

Yeah I was thinking about trying the Dr Tim's with this new tank. Anyone else have any advice?

These bottled bacteria product are helpful to speed up the cycling process. IMO They are used by people with little patience, have lots of $$, and/or unaware of other cheaper cycling methods. They do work great for many people, but I would would rather save money for more important equipment.

I would also recommend dr tim one and only.

I've used Dr Tim's and had no problems. I am one of those impatient types that does not see the point in waiting 4-6 weeks to get a tank going, but I'm patient with adding fish afterwards. :)

I've used Dr Tim's and had no problems. I am one of those impatient types that does not see the point in waiting 4-6 weeks to get a tank going, but I'm patient with adding fish afterwards. :)

Yes I agree with you. I want to get it going quickly and then add to it slowly. If you add to quick then you run out of space and need to buy a mew tank even quicker to satisfy the addiction... I was going to try the Dr Tim's in a 2.5 gallon fluval and that way I can start a coral garden in it.

How would you cycle such a small tank without the bottled bacteria? Same way as a larger tank but on a smaller scale?

Use bottled ammonia is my favorite method from Ace Hardware.

Or use a common raw shrimp from grocery store, which is messy if you dont wrap it with a pantyhose or something.

Both works,just smaller scale like you mentioned.

My advice is go bigger. I started a 5 gallon tank with the focus on coral, I want more space. 2.5 won't give you much room, especially since corals aren't necessarily friendly to each other.

Im trying to keep a couple of dwarf seahorses and the smaller tank is what im looking for for them. I have experience with small tanks too so it's not like its my first and I know how much we all want more space but I have other tanks for that haha :)

You're welcome! Dr. Tim's does live up to it's claims. I don't know if you've already done any research on it, but he identified the specific strains of beneficial bacteria that live in aquariums. A lot of other bottled bacteria contain strains that are used in sewage treatment which work in extremely high ammonia environments. They aren't very effective in aquariums. I also use his other products to maintain my tank and they're all great.

Yeah I have looked into his work and how he has made his products. Pretty cool stuff but as a chemistry major with a bio minor at school I might be one of a few who find that stuff interesting haha

Back
Top Bottom