What does everyone use for ferts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
Trying to get a general idea on what people use for ferts. Looking for some options beside root tabs for my medium light 29 gallon. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gla pps pro and seachem iron. Mebbid style root tabs with osmocote and miracle grow. Metricide 14 on top of co2..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is the miracle grow necessary for the root tabs? I am just using 1/8 teaspoon Osmocote in an ice cube, Mebbid said this amount was about the same as the 00 sized gel capsules.

I dose easycarbo, profito, potassium and ferro of the easylife brand.. Along with roottabs :)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Tank Fertilizers

Trying to get a general idea on what people use for ferts. Looking for some options beside root tabs for my medium light 29 gallon. Thanks!

Hello fish...

Plants that require subdued to moderate light will grow fine with no commercial fertilizers. You just need to provide the lighting requirements for the plants, a well stocked tank with your favorite fish and feed them a varied diet. The fish wastes dissolve in the tank water and nourish the plants. The nutrients the plants don't use are removed through the weekly water change.

B

I use seachem root tabs, liquid co2 (i don't always put it in, so I cant vouch for it), and florapride.

Florapride rocks haha

Hello fish...

Plants that require subdued to moderate light will grow fine with no commercial fertilizers. You just need to provide the lighting requirements for the plants, a well stocked tank with your favorite fish and feed them a varied diet. The fish wastes dissolve in the tank water and nourish the plants. The nutrients the plants don't use are removed through the weekly water change.

B

Geez, that's original:p....
Fish- I add the miracle grow because it's regular osmocote not o+..
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is the miracle grow necessary for the root tabs? I am just using 1/8 teaspoon Osmocote in an ice cube, Mebbid said this amount was about the same as the 00 sized gel capsules.

No it's not necessary, most of the people who do the osmocote root tab thing just use osmocote+ by itself.

Thanks for the reply everyone.

I feed my tetras TopFin Color Enhancing Flake food(plan on switching when this runs out) and i give the shrimp one Omega-1 Veggie Sinking Pellet every other day.

The only things for plants I add are the root tabs and DIY co2

I use GLA PPS Pro + iron, press. co2, glut, O+ tabs......

Same as above but without the additional iron.

The need for root supplements may depend on the plants. If you've got heavy root feeders such as crypts or swords, then they will definitely benefit from their use. Plants that attach to hardscape or stem plants are more likely to derive nutrients from the water column. For low-med lighting, a combo of API LeafZone and Seachem Flourish Comprehensive should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

GLA pps pro, mebbid root tabs, and CO2!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello fish...

B

I've done this in a 20gal ages ago and the plants grew well. But I wasn't doing many water changes which probably helped the plants, probably not the fish so much. No algae though :)

It's interesting here that a lot of people I talk to at the lfs can grow plants in small tanks but large tanks are a no go.

Ferts wise is now DIY substrate tabs of clay and general garden ferts plus PMDD with extra potassium. Was looking through at what I have in dry ferts and thinking I will need to get phosphate soon.

I have been reading other threads and it seems co2 (while not a fert) is super important? I guess it can't be more important than ferts to keep the balance.

DO NOT use api root tabs if you must use some. I put new tabs in yesterday and my poor water looks like milk today. I have to do my water change tonight but hopefully my fish live that long.

Just posted this morning about it.

Im using flourish next time, ALL flourish seachem stuff from now on. Dont get it, Ive used API in the past fine but this batch turned to dust instantly in the water.

I have used the api root tabs before. After seeing how fast they dissolve I put them in during water changes. They are now collecting dust in the basement.

I have used the api root tabs before. After seeing how fast they dissolve I put them in during water changes. They are now collecting dust in the basement.

empty your PM box

Is it these ones?? Just curious if I have the right ones.

API Root Tabs Aquarium Plant Fertilizer at PETCO

Its that brand I just used but this package

http://www.thatpetplace.com/root-tabs-plant-fertilizer-10-tabs?gclid=Cj0KEQiAq_SkBRC3jLvJ1IPt2eIBEiQASUZy18d_5S63mfr7fQ_un1q66ruzzJiIC3nlPtVcENeXIxIaAmAV8P8HAQ&kwid=productads-plaid^98032420124-sku^236403-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^55213046924

Never again

Its that brand I just used but this package

http://www.thatpetplace.com/root-tabs-plant-fertilizer-10-tabs?gclid=Cj0KEQiAq_SkBRC3jLvJ1IPt2eIBEiQASUZy18d_5S63mfr7fQ_un1q66ruzzJiIC3nlPtVcENeXIxIaAmAV8P8HAQ&kwid=productads-plaid^98032420124-sku^236403-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^55213046924

Never again

Many thanks for the reply. Odd, I've used these in the past with no issues. I've even forgotten where I put them in the gravel and hit a small cloud of grey gunk (the clay?) weeks later. Wondering what happened with your tank?

Many thanks for the reply. Odd, I've used these in the past with no issues. I've even forgotten where I put them in the gravel and hit a small cloud of grey gunk (the clay?) weeks later. Wondering what happened with your tank?

me to, I always underdosed tho. This time I used what it called for and BAM now my water is milk.

Im seriously worried my brand new cray or fish will not take this well since I cant do a PWC until 6ish tonight after work.

My AMM and Trites spiked up a TINY bit last night so I put in some safe start and conditioner to help until my cleaning but man this has got me SO mad Im about to send pics to API about it.
Not that they care but I will never use their stuff again. tetra and flourish/seachem from now on.

Back
Top Bottom