What does everyone use for ferts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
me to, I always underdosed tho. This time I used what it called for and BAM now my water is milk.

Im seriously worried my brand new cray or fish will not take this well since I cant do a PWC until 6ish tonight after work.

My AMM and Trites spiked up a TINY bit last night so I put in some safe start and conditioner to help until my cleaning but man this has got me SO mad Im about to send pics to API about it.

Not that they care but I will never use their stuff again. tetra and flourish/seachem from now on.

That's interesting, I've always under-dosed as well. Mainly as the cost is ridiculous. I've seen them in the lfs for ~$20 which just seems way over the top. I had been thinking of ordering a heap on amazon or something but now thinking of getting some seachem fluorite to try and improve the gravel substrate instead.

http://www.aquariumkingdom.com.au/api-root-tablets---card-of-10

Edit - hope your tank recovers ok.

I have been reading other threads and it seems co2 (while not a fert) is super important? I guess it can't be more important than ferts to keep the balance.

The importance of CO2 depends on the lighting. The more light, then more CO2 is needed.
Until recently I had been using Aqua Fertz root pellets from AquariumPlants.com. Comes in 3 flavors: Iron, Phosphate, and Total. 75 pellets for about $10. Dosed monthly. Did not cloud the water but they do start to dissolve when they get wet. Had great results. I decided to try out the Mebbid style osmocote+ tablets about 2 months ago. Might be too early to tell, but so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is the miracle grow necessary for the root tabs? I am just using 1/8 teaspoon Osmocote in an ice cube, Mebbid said this amount was about the same as the 00 sized gel capsules.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used the miracle gro mix in my root tabs because at the time Osmocote+ was discontinued and impossible to find. The other stand ins for Osmocote+ were also not available in my area. In short, the miracle gro and osmocote I sued gave a better mix of nutrients than either of them alone.

DO NOT use api root tabs if you must use some. I put new tabs in yesterday and my poor water looks like milk today. I have to do my water change tonight but hopefully my fish live that long.

Just posted this morning about it.

Im using flourish next time, ALL flourish seachem stuff from now on. Dont get it, Ive used API in the past fine but this batch turned to dust instantly in the water.

The flourish tabs aren't any good at all either. Ive tried both the flourish and API tabs and got terrible growth with both of them. Either the osmocote tabs or RU tabs from peabodys paradise are the two best choices out there atm.

The importance of CO2 depends on the lighting. The more light, then more CO2 is needed.
Until recently I had been using Aqua Fertz root pellets from AquariumPlants.com. Comes in 3 flavors: Iron, Phosphate, and Total. 75 pellets for about $10. Dosed monthly. Did not cloud the water but they do start to dissolve when they get wet. Had great results. I decided to try out the Mebbid style osmocote+ tablets about 2 months ago. Might be too early to tell, but so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, it's interesting. It's hard to tell as I think some of the val is sensitive / still aclimitising to half dosing glut. Also don't have co2 drop checker yet.

But I've got some val that is shaded that is going great guns and sending out runners.

Other val in the middle of the tank getting more light is not doing so well. I'm wondering if this means it is actually co2 deficient. Idk.

The flourish tabs aren't any good at all either. Ive tried both the flourish and API tabs and got terrible growth with both of them. Either the osmocote tabs or RU tabs from peabodys paradise are the two best choices out there atm.

I've also thought the API root tabs not that great. Actually the main part of the tabs I'd be after for usefulness is the clay...

I have DIY root tabs bought off The Planted Tank forums.

In my nano tanks I use
Seachem Comp
API LeafZone
Excel (switching to Glut when I run out ).

If I had larger tanks I'd use dry ferts. But I'm lazy and do weekly liquid ferts.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419720237.071421.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419720309.294085.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom