What driftwood is this & how long will it take to sink?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
Purchased some driftwood the other day. It's been soaking for a little over 24hrs and still hasn't sank. I'm well aware this happens often with driftwood but I was hoping someone could ID the specific type and tell me how long it usually takes to sink (if at all). ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447723497.212421.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447723508.780264.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know what kind but I boiled mine for like a week before I put it in my tank. It still floated. So we took fishing line and tied the driftwood to a rock.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like Mopani to me, it will release a ton of tannins and unless you want your water looking like brown soup then you should let it soak for a while :) It should sink in the next couple weeks, and if not then you can tie it to a rock or something else to the tank.

Thanks guys!

Yep, going to keep it in the bucket!

Does everyone else agree on type or have experience with how long this type takes to sink?

I boiled my mopani in the canning pot for 3-4 hours with a pinch of salt for flavor. The water looked like an English cup of tea (couldn't even see an inch past the surface). It sank fine and it did give off some tannins, but hardly enough to fuss about.

So I returned home after being away for a couple of days and the driftwood had sank.

So for anyone with this sort wondering the same thing in the future, it took this piece approx. 1.5-2 weeks to sink. Hope this helps someone!

I have some type of wood that I don't know what it is, but it has taken about 8 months and to this day has not sunk.

I have some type of wood that I don't know what it is, but it has taken about 8 months and to this day has not sunk.

Lol. Thats some very bouyant stuff...

I get my driftwood from the pond across the road. There was sone constiction to make it a drainage area, because the yards around me flood when it rains too much. So now if fills up really high and all the branches that fell into the water because of construction become driftwood after awhile.

Usually takes about 5-7 months to become waterlogged enough i can use friction to hold it down, but only the very first price i collected has become dense enough to sink.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

You can boil it which you should do anyways if you're getting it from the wild where it could have gunk on it you don't want in your tank, i would boil it for an hour, which will help get the tannins out of the wood of it has any, you can make a base for it i forgot the stone that's on mine is not slate as slates brittle but get a big piece break it in 3 sections, and attach it to the wood with small stainless screws (is more of a permanent decor this way though make sure the screws go into the wood and aren't exposed anywhere) , and btw if your soaking it you have to weigh it down so it's submerged.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can boil it which you should do anyways if you're getting it from the wild where it could have gunk on it you don't want in your tank, i would boil it for an hour, which will help get the tannins out of the wood of it has any, you can make a base for it i forgot the stone that's on mine is not slate as slates brittle but get a big piece break it in 3 sections, and attach it to the wood with small stainless screws (is more of a permanent decor this way though make sure the screws go into the wood and aren't exposed anywhere) , and btw if your soaking it you have to weigh it down so it's submerged.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah. I couldnt be bothered to boul mine, so i sprayed it down with the hose and scrubbed it once a day for like a week. Just to get rid of the crap.

Then put it in the tank and piled stones onto it so it stayed down.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom