What else can I put in my SA tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Right now I have 4 GBRs, 15 neon tetras, and 3 oto catfish in my 40 breeder. What else can I put in my tank? I like apistogrammas, but I dont know if they would get along with the rams. I dont like hatchet fish at all, but I'm open for any other suggestions. Any ideas?

yeah gouramis are asian haha.

I was thinking about a school of corys, but I'm trying to fill out my tank more, have some more free swimming fish, thats why I was thinking apistogramma. Do corys swim around a lot, or do they stick to the bottom?

They tend to stick to the bottom, so if you do decide to go by them just be wary of them with the rams.

Fishkeeper26 said:
They tend to stick to the bottom, so if you do decide to go by them just be wary of them with the rams.

Only if your rams pair off and breed. Even then they become more territorial than outright aggressive. And really, cories have a hard earned reputation for nocturnal nest raiding, so I would worry more about the rams then the cories.

That's where the problem lies though, if cories are raiding the nests then territoriality becomes a problem. Like what I was saying earlier, however in a 40 breeder there is plenty of surface area so the cories shouldn't wander into the rams territory by accident

That's where the problem lies though, if cories are raiding the nests then territoriality becomes a problem. Like what I was saying earlier, however in a 40 breeder there is plenty of surface area so the cories shouldn't wander into the rams territory by accident

honestly, my rams have been in the tank for a few weeks now, and they are still all over the place. I dont think theyve set any territories up at all. One male is starting to get super aggressive towards the other 3. I put 4 in at first (2 died within a few days) and the other 2 seemed to pair off right from the start. I added an other male and female 2 weeks later, and they seemed fine. Recently the original male has been aggressive towards the other 3 even though I have crazy amounts of plants (short and tall), and crazy driftwood (all over the place) to break up the tank.

So as far as territories go, I think the one male thinks he owns the tank, and I'm hoping this stops eventually, but I dont know haha. I was thinking maybe if I put a semi aggressive fish in there it would put him in check, but i dont know what fish to put in, or if that would just make things worse.

I would also suggest some tetras. Just check what is compatible with the neons.

I already have a pretty big school of neons in there, I dont know if I want anymore. I am looking for a bigger bodied fish I think, maybe add 1 or 2 more fish to the tank instead of adding another school.

The corys seem cool, but they dont seem too active at the same time.

honestly, my rams have been in the tank for a few weeks now, and they are still all over the place. I dont think theyve set any territories up at all. One male is starting to get super aggressive towards the other 3. I put 4 in at first (2 died within a few days) and the other 2 seemed to pair off right from the start. I added an other male and female 2 weeks later, and they seemed fine. Recently the original male has been aggressive towards the other 3 even though I have crazy amounts of plants (short and tall), and crazy driftwood (all over the place) to break up the tank.

So as far as territories go, I think the one male thinks he owns the tank, and I'm hoping this stops eventually, but I dont know haha. I was thinking maybe if I put a semi aggressive fish in there it would put him in check, but i dont know what fish to put in, or if that would just make things worse.
I don't think it is a good idea to put a semi-aggressive fish in there for that reason. It would possibly end with a dead ram. I wouldn't add corys until the rams sort themselves out. Some people do indeed have issues with rams nipping and harassing corys, and since you have a bossy ram, I would avoid corys for the moment. I wouldn't add an apisto. They are a bit feistier than rams, and I think that would cause problems.
I don't like hatchets either. :)
The best thing I can think of right now would be a small school of another peaceful tetra, like the rummy nose tetra. Middle dwellers will naturally move up the water column a bit when the bottom of the tank if full.
Another option would be a pencil fish. They are pretty as centerpiece fish.

i have my rams with dwarf gouramis, mollys, x-ray tetras, a few plattys. they all get along fine. the difference is it's an all male aquarium. i don't know if they would get along if there was a female around. i think that brings out the aggression. but they get along beautifully and the colors of the rams and gouramis is striking especially for fw fish. good luck. :)

absolutangel04 said:
I don't think it is a good idea to put a semi-aggressive fish in there for that reason. It would possibly end with a dead ram. I wouldn't add corys until the rams sort themselves out. Some people do indeed have issues with rams nipping and harassing corys, and since you have a bossy ram, I would avoid corys for the moment. I wouldn't add an apisto. They are a bit feistier than rams, and I think that would cause problems.
I don't like hatchets either. :)
The best thing I can think of right now would be a small school of another peaceful tetra, like the rummy nose tetra. Middle dwellers will naturally move up the water column a bit when the bottom of the tank if full.
Another option would be a pencil fish. They are pretty as centerpiece fish.

Hmm I never thought of a pencil fish, I'll start to research them a bit. I already have a big school in my tank, I don't think another would look as nice. I'm just looking to add 1 maybe 2 more fish, that's why I was researching apistos.

I hope the rams calm down, I've been looking for a rock cave of some sort, but I haven't been able to find a real one yet that would fit my tank. I was hoping that might solve the ram problem.

**the pencil fish is another schooler according to what I've been reading. They seem like they would fit, but they are a little small, and I'm nit really looking for another school.

jpchin said:
i have my rams with dwarf gouramis, mollys, x-ray tetras, a few plattys. they all get along fine. the difference is it's an all male aquarium. i don't know if they would get along if there was a female around. i think that brings out the aggression. but they get along beautifully and the colors of the rams and gouramis is striking especially for fw fish. good luck. :)

I'm trying to keep a SA species tank, a lot of those fish are not from SA or selectively bred. Thanks for the suggestions though.

oh sorry i missed that. i also have 2 south american bumblebee cat fish although i really wouldn't recommend them because they are nocturnal and you don't get to enjoy them much but they are beautiful when you get a glimpse.

Hmm I never thought of a pencil fish, I'll start to research them a bit. I already have a big school in my tank, I don't think another would look as nice. I'm just looking to add 1 maybe 2 more fish, that's why I was researching apistos.

I hope the rams calm down, I've been looking for a rock cave of some sort, but I haven't been able to find a real one yet that would fit my tank. I was hoping that might solve the ram problem.

**the pencil fish is another schooler according to what I've been reading. They seem like they would fit, but they are a little small, and I'm nit really looking for another school.
Sorry, I wasn't quite as clear as I should have been. Pencilfish is an entire genus of fish. The most commonly available ones are the golden pencilfish and the 3-lined pencilfish. They are schoolers. The ruby red pencilfish is a little different. You can keep a single male in your tank and he will be fine IMO. You could also do a male and like 3 girls, but it sounds like you don't want 4 fish. Another option is the black phantom tetra. They are one of the few tetras that can be kept in pair. Make sure to only have 1 male though. Both of these species are feisty, but shouldn't fight with the rams. I think an apisto would be a bad idea IMO since that level of your tank is occupied by the rams.

absolutangel04 said:
Sorry, I wasn't quite as clear as I should have been. Pencilfish is an entire genus of fish. The most commonly available ones are the golden pencilfish and the 3-lined pencilfish. They are schoolers. The ruby red pencilfish is a little different. You can keep a single male in your tank and he will be fine IMO. You could also do a male and like 3 girls, but it sounds like you don't want 4 fish. Another option is the black phantom tetra. They are one of the few tetras that can be kept in pair. Make sure to only have 1 male though. Both of these species are feisty, but shouldn't fight with the rams. I think an apisto would be a bad idea IMO since that level of your tank is occupied by the rams.

I'll look into the tetra now. Believe me, I'm not sold on the apisto, I think they are gorgeous fish, but I'm not willing to put up with any more aggression, I'm really trying to avoid it.

Back
Top Bottom