What else...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can go in my new 20g tank, if anything? I have it planted with everything from my 10g (anacharis, amazon sword, moss ball, and java moss). It is filtered with a Tetra Whisper 10-30 internal filter. My current stock:

1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Bristlenose Pleco
9 Glowlight Tetras
8 Ghost Shrimp

I was thinking possibly a school of barbs or danios, but I am not sure. It seems kinda empty with my current stocking. :ermm:

So, would 5 cherry barbs along with my current stocking fully stock the tank or not? I am not really experinced with stocking 20g and I don't want to mess up. It just seems HUGE compared to my previous tank.

Personally I wouldn't do the danios. Maybe if it's a 20 long but still that would be pushing it with the glowlights..I don't think they'd have enough room. I would do 5 kuhli loaches or 6 julii or panda cories. I'm basing this on my 20 gal. It has 1 betta, 2 pitbull plecos, 7 glowlights, 2 bamboo shrimp, and 5 kuhli loaches. Everyone seems to have ample space.

Yes, I was figuring on just getting 5 cherry barbs, but I don't know if this would be full or if there would be anything else that I could add. Like I said it seems lightly stocked right now. haha

I would assume barbs and kuhlis would be overdoing it.

adadkins1 said:
Yes, I was figuring on just getting 5 cherry barbs, but I don't know if this would be full or if there would be anything else that I could add. Like I said it seems lightly stocked right now. haha

If you added the cherry barbs and the cories, it could still have room for MAYBE one small school of fish.

I'd say start with 5 CherryBarbs and if you looking for something else try 2-3 GoldBarbs

Hard to say..I have a more powerful filter, rated for up to 45 gals on mine, so not sure what yours is capable of. Sounds a little weak for a 20 gal IME so I'd be careful. Of course judge by watching your nitrates, etc. If your BN is juvenile take into account as it grows so does it's waste. Looking at my 20, I don't see room for the barbs along with my glowlights, but maybe it's because of my sort of largish peice of decor... If your glowlights are full grown and you think there's room for the barbs, there's still room for the kuhli's too (as long as you have a smooth substrate). Kuhli's won't be in anyone else's way. They completely hang on the bottom except for moments of unexpected spazzmatic behavior lol.

Cherry barbs will get too big but i think a few cories miught be alright, also a few more of the glowlights will be really nice. A big school of glow lights is magically with a dwarf gourami keeping them in a tight school around the place. But a few cories will make the bottom much clean and nice eating any uneaten food.
Sounds like a great tank too! Would love some pictures!

Okay, right now I have the cherry barbs in, but I really wish I still had room for more. I got a 20g because my bristlenose pleco was not going to work in my 10g. I would wake up after re-planting and my marimo ball would be half way across the aquarium and my banana plant would be on its side. I was under the impression that I would be able to add more than just some cherries after upgrading. I've been contemplating adding some hatchets, but I was told this would be too many fish. :confused:

Will try to get pics up tomorrow.

Beware of hatchets. Mine cost me twenty four bucks just for three of them and they all died, they landed on the floor, even when I had a cover on the tank! IMO if you're going to get hatchets, get a cover that is so strong not even a full-grown pleco could knock it down, it's just out of my cautiousness with these fish.

That is what I have heard. Is there any other small fish that would kinda hang at the top of the water column? I know my tank is "technically" stocked, but it just doesn't seem like I have that many fish in there. I would like to have a little more life at the top, thought about a guppy or endler. Sometimes the DG might be territorial about the top though.

Well, LFS was out of hatchets so I got 3 guppies. Yes, I know my is overstocked, but my parents keep telling me "You have room for other fish!". My mom wanted me to put a rainbow shark in it:eek: Arrrggg...

Current stock:

1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Bristlenose Pleco
10 Glowlight Tetras
5 Cherry Barbs
3 Fancy Guppies

Here are some pictures.

Nah I don't think it's too bad. I would just keep an eye on your parameters and make sure your filter is sufficient. Your tank looks great! :)

Thank you very much. Everything except the BNP and DG have a fairly low bioload, so I am not extemely worried about the nitrates. The anacharis also helps a lot with the nitrates. Where I was worried was physical space, which is what my parents look at: "It doesn't look full". Hopefully I can keep it as is.

Hey I think you need to buy some more fish and find out they are to much for your tank and will them to me...lol....found your post ADA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom