What everyone's favorite activated carbon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
What brand do you like and why? And how do you use it, In filter in tank ?

Thanks Dewey

I subscribe to the school of thought that says dont run carbon. Or at least dont run it all the time. The reason is the carbon will remove trace elements in the water. If you then just dump the elements in your kind of filtering out the stuff your adding in. Its ok to run it for say a week a month or something to keep the water clear and not getting a yellow tint if you have that problem.

my favorite happens to be whatever is on sale at petsmart =) as long as its one of the main brands. I run 2 cups of carbon changes weekly in my 55 gal. I also do a 2 gallon water change each week. For the last three - four months all my params have been rock steady and all my criters thriving (besides on failed atempt at raising a feather duster =( ).

kent was the brand i did use but then i got a job at a lfs and they do not have it for me to get it at cost so now it is marineland carbon.

I know its not carbon but im switching to purigen by Seachem. Anyone had a experience with this?

Thanks Dewey

Anything wrong with the stuff at Meijer or Walmart? I run carbon most of the time now since I have read that different types of corals can wage chemical warfare on others.

Dewey said:
I know its not carbon but im switching to purigen by Seachem. Anyone had a experience with this?

Thanks Dewey

Hi Dewey,
There was a thread a while back on this which died an early death. I am using Purigen in my 55. It's been in for about a week and has already turned an almost urine shade of yellow, so must be doing something. I haven't, however, seen changes in water quality parameters that I can directly ascribe to the Purigen. Will let people know if I notice anything. Jeff

Back
Top Bottom