What filtration system should I consider??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkfalcon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've heard about power filters, HOB filters, canister filters, etc (right now I use mostly over the top box filter for most aquariums or power filters with sponges). But I've never even once had a crystal clear water in any of my tank.

Do you guys have any suggestion on what should I try and will it be effective to make my tank stays clear for at least a week before I do a water change??

The filter media I've used so far are glass wools, zeolites, bio balls, and carbon active (only used this once but turns out to be not that effective). Is this good??? If yes then why my tanks never stay clear for at least a week or so?? Did I rush the fishless tank cycle?? And how to do fishless tank cycle properly with the medias I've mentioned above?

I'm probably not the right person to answer this, but I'm gonna take a stab anyway. In all of my larger tanks, I use hang-on-back bio wheel filters equivalent to 150% tank volume, and use simple bonded filter media in the compartments, which I wash in dirty tank water with every water change, and I change filter media every other month. In addition, all tanks have under-gravel filters with an air pump. I've never had an issue with my water becoming cloudy, unless I have a decaying plant. Not very high tech, but it works well for me.

I'm probably not the right person to answer this, but I'm gonna take a stab anyway. In all of my larger tanks, I use hang-on-back bio wheel filters equivalent to 150% tank volume, and use simple bonded filter media in the compartments, which I wash in dirty tank water with every water change, and I change filter media every other month. In addition, all tanks have under-gravel filters with an air pump. I've never had an issue with my water becoming cloudy, unless I have a decaying plant. Not very high tech, but it works well for me.

Well my problem is not cloudy. But green instead. The water becomes greenish and sticky.

Green and sticky? A greenish tint would normally indicate algae, but not sure why it would be sticky. Is it in direct sunlight? Or do you have a light system that would promote plant growth? Either could cause algae to grow. I'm not a big fan of chemicals, but you could try an algae remover before you change your filtration.

The water is sticky. Not under direct sunlight but using 3 color LED lamp (T4 LED lamp). So the problem is algae?? Ok I'll try an algae remover first. But right now I've reseted the tank (no fish in it, only around 10-20% water left. I'm cleaning the filter media as well as the filter chambers since the filter chamber is attached to the aquarium's back, it's gonna be hard and might take a while to clean it entirely). After the maintenance is done I'll try the fishless cycle (tho I don't exactly understand how it works but the articles here are helpful) and try algae remover to remove the remaining algae if existed (ofc I'll use it right now too, to the aquarium's floor and gravel).

The water is sticky. Not under direct sunlight but using 3 color LED lamp (T4 LED lamp). So the problem is algae?? Ok I'll try an algae remover first. But right now I've reseted the tank (no fish in it, only around 10-20% water left. I'm cleaning the filter media as well as the filter chambers since the filter chamber is attached to the aquarium's back, it's gonna be hard and might take a while to clean it entirely). After the maintenance is done I'll try the fishless cycle (tho I don't exactly understand how it works but the articles here are helpful) and try algae remover to remove the remaining algae if existed (ofc I'll use it right now too, to the aquarium's floor and gravel).

A hang on back filter with a built in UV steriliser would clear green water algae. I have read that algae removing products act as a flocculating agent and are not 100% safe for fish. I'm not sure how true this is but UV is the safest bet I'm my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom