What fish are you trying/did you succesfully breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought it may be fun to see what our members are trying to breed in their tanks. I don't want to see this as a competition or anything, I just believe this can be quite informative for people who want to have a go at breeding their fish. That way they have a view as to who has experience with what fish, and they can easily send them a PM with questions related to breeding.
I'll post my attempts and succeses later on, but I've got to go now.

Guppies galore and ghost shrimp. I've had to stop with the guppies, 'cause they were just too much for me. I didnt even have to try...they just do their thing.

I'm also doing quite an excellent job raising snails, btw. :roll:

I have had many successful years of breeding Oscars, of course, but also mollies, yellow labs and electric blue Cichlids.

I have a male and female betta in a ten gallon tank right now but have had NO luck.

I think I provide some sort of sterile non sexual environment, I absolutely cannot get anything to breed. I bought 3 female guppies and 1 male. Absolutely nothing, in fact I got lesbian guppies who killed one of the females and then the male. No luck with my platies either. I have a male and female Jewel Cichlid that hate each other so much that they stay on complete opposite sides of the tank. Various Pseudotropheus African's---nothing, absolutely nothing. I think my boys are shooting blanks. Oh well, I'm not too worried about it anyway. I just think it's funny that I'm the only person in the world who cannot get guppies to breed.

angelfish and ameca splendins. Angelfish had one spawn where there were wiggler fry. The amecas have spawned Many times

I've been attempting to breed my keyhole cichlids, they just had their first spawn, but the eggs were all gone after 3 days. But I'm confident they'll eventually get it right.

I have set up a breeding tank for my white clouds, and due to beginner mistakes, I'm down to 4 fry now, but next time I try it'll be better. The 4 remaining fry look healthy though and will grow up if nothing goes wrong.

And then completely unexpected, just now, I checked my tank, and I saw my male honey gourami protecting a spot between the plants, and there were 20-30 little wigglers at the top of the tank. I hope some make it, though I was told to drastically lower the water level for fry to make it, but I can't do that since there are other fish in that tank.

Keep it coming folks!

I've had luck with Brichardi (which are the guppies of africa) and Yellow labs also very easy to breed. Some times all it takes is the right kind of fish. 8)

I just think it's funny that I'm the only person in the world who cannot get guppies to breed.
I couldn't get mollies to breed :roll:
When I had brichardi, they bred. My multies and Ocellatus golds have bred, as well as a zebra to a socolofi. If it happens, it happens, but I don't have the means to facilitate breeding for my fish, so nature takes its course.

I just saw a single Platy fry in my tank today. I haven't seen it in a while. If they don't grow out to a respectable size, does it still count? :)

I've got platys and guppies galore. I only had a few swordtail fry but they all died. Now I find baby danios when I do gravel vacs.

Ive bought pregnant livebearers......
most recently(in july of last year) I rescued a preg. molly from petland and after a few months only 3 survivers. I gave one to a neighbor who killed it from neglegence. Im left with 2 a male and female approx. 1 1/2" long each.
Male-lyretail-dalmation
Female-reg. tail-half gold, half black

I'd like to breed corys or bushynose plecs though.

i lucked into having some wonderful platys 5 girls and one boy and they breed like crazy so far and i have had them a very short time

try to breed goldies (no luck so far) :kiss:

I had baby guppies within 5 weeks of purchasing them, but it's not like I had to do anything special. :)

Out of a fry batch of 17 I'm down to 5. Getting guppies to breed is one thing, taking care of the fry is another matter.

I have a few baby ghost shrimp that I am raising. I wish they would hurry up and get bigger. I want to use that tank to attempt to breed danios.

In the past I have bred guppies, mollys, platys and swordtails.

I had 2 female and 2 male mollies that were popping out babies like crazy. We ended up with about 20 of them surviving. The remainder of them got eaten by the Bala Sharks (I didn't notice them in time to get a breeder net). I woke up one morning and found about 15 of them in the corner by the heater. I went to the lfs right away and got a breeder net and when I got home there was only 5 left. This went on every day for about two weeks. It was fun because we'd check the tank every couple hours for new babies. 8 months later and 13 of them are still alive in my fiance's mother's tank. She also has the parents in her tank but she hasn't been able to get them to breed.

I've bred bronze corydoras, kribs and mollies so far. Right now I'm trying to breed some apistogrammas and some dwarf gouramis in the future.

Back
Top Bottom