What fish can live safely with cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuMcc99

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a few fish in my tank at the minute but was thinking about turning my tank in to a cichlids tank but was wondering what fish are safe to live along side them, I don't want to get them if they don't work together
I have:
Tetras
gourami
Some little cat fish
Plec
Guppys
Platies
If it's not possible with what I have I will have to wait.
Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cichlids is a very broad term. Some are peaceful, other are tank terrors..

Do you know the species?

Caleb

I haven't looked in to the species yet, thought I would ask about to see what the best thing to do was, if I couldn't have any with what I have then I thought I would have to wait.

I haven't looked in to the species yet, thought I would ask about to see what the best thing to do was, if I couldn't have any with what I have then I thought I would have to wait.

Ahh I misread... My bad.

Look at Rams

Caleb

What size tank

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sweet tank!

Yeah look at Rams or a Keyhole Cichlid to fit the bill on the style of peaceful community

Caleb

Rams, apistogrammas, or kribensis would work. You might get aggression if they try to spawn though.

Ok cool thanks I will have a look in to them, are these better being paired up or will they be ok on there own if I get 1 of each??

Before i went with my mbuna cichlid tank, i was planning to have a large community tank with a Bolivian Ram cichlid. With cichlids however, its kind of trial and error based on the individual fish. You could have a nice one that wont bother any of the other fish, and ive also seen rams that would terrorize most in the community tank. Im definitely not saying dont try it, but make sure to have a backup plan set in place just incase you get a bully. Cichlids are awesome imo, but you cant really predict them

Before i went with my mbuna cichlid tank, i was planning to have a large community tank with a Bolivian Ram cichlid. With cichlids however, its kind of trial and error based on the individual fish. You could have a nice one that wont bother any of the other fish, and ive also seen rams that would terrorize most in the community tank. Im definitely not saying dont try it, but make sure to have a backup plan set in place just incase you get a bully. Cichlids are awesome imo, but you cant really predict them

+1 I had a female Kribensis that started off shy and nice but as she got bigger she got mean and started fin nipping and once I caught her that was it she was rehomed.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom