what fish for my 55g??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

princessp714

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to have 1 or 2 bigger fish for my 55g tank instead of alot of small ones, so I am moving the neons and cories to the 20g and keeping the plecos and dwarf puffers in the 55g, I would like a bigger coomunity fish in my tank or may be a couple med. sz ones, NOW WHAT CAN I HAVE THAT WON'T EAT MY PUFFERS BUT WILL BE CUTE!?

You may have to do some research on this one--not sure who keeps puffers anymore. I could be mistake (have been a lot lately), I thought puffers were not generally community fish. How long have them been in with the little community fish? If DP are community fish, try rainbows.

opaline gouramis are nice all gouramis would be a good choice different ones get to different sizes and they are community. also may be a rainbow shark they get a nice size. on second thought they wont get along with the pleco bu the first is good

10 Things to Know About Puffers: Dwarf Puffers
Dwarf puffers really should only be kept in a species only tank, and if you insist on keeping more than one, then each puffer will require at least five gallons (20 liters) each. Don't expect them to play happy families though…
Dwarf puffers live in communities when juvenile, but this changes rapidly as the fish mature. This behavior is often mistaken for compatibility with other fish of their own species. While it is true that you will have more success if you keep several puffers together that have grown to maturity in each others company, attempting to introduce an adult dwarf puffer into a community or species tank will be disastrous.
5 Things You Should Know Before Buying a Dwarf Puffer Fish - Associated Content
The dwarf puffer is a very aggressive fish, and will beat its tank mates to death.
Malabar Puffer, Dwarf Puffer, Malabar Pufferfish, Carinotetraodon travancoricus, Family: Tetraodontidae
Puffers have strong teeth that grow throughout their lives, so are prone to overgrown teeth. Offer hard shelled live food often to keep the teeth worn down. Feeding snails daily will help to wear down the teeth. If the teeth get too long, they will be unable to eat, requiring the owner to clip the teeth.
Dwarf pufferfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A favorite treat is very small snails, these are eaten whole, including the shell. This helps to wear down their beak, which grows continuously (much in the manner of molars in many rodents) and can prevent the puffer from eating effectively if overgrown. Their aggression makes them unsuitable for controlling snail infestations in community tanks, however they will enjoy disposing of snails collected in a trap from infested tanks.
I saw dwarf puffers at the lfs and thought they were very cute, too. Then I came home and read about them and decided they were not for me. I don't like aggressive fish and I don't like the idea of having to control tooth growth.

lets start by saying that I know my puffers and they are scared of the food I put in the tank! lol.. they are as community as they come.. scared off by the BEE Puffers I had, they have always traveled together and never bothered anyone other than snails! I don't want ot move them but might have o for bigger fish might eat them, maybe I will just grab more or stick with what I have.

Back
Top Bottom