What fish?!? New started 55 gallons tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deltic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank up and running. I have fish in it. But I made a mistake and bought some fish and then looked them up. This is what I have.

1 Black Neon
2 Congo Tetra's
2 Pristella Tetra's
2 Zebra Danios
1 Red Tailed Shark
1 Albino Bala Shark (I did not know at the time he got up to 15" the pet store did not tell me this)

After setting it all up I just bought the top 2 fish to make sure they would live (little paranoid). After a week of them being fine I moved in the rest of the fish. They all seem to be living fine together thus far. One of the Danios keeps all the other fish mostly on one side of the Aquarium (cept the 2 sharks) when i have just one light one. Guess it likes the light to itself? I don't mind getting rid of fish I just want to get a few more that are all going to be happy together. I am new to this. My wife had a 10 gallon tank with some barbs in it that I got bored of and when we moved we got the 55 gallon instead.

So if I could get some hints, advice or whatever, of other kinds of fish i should get that are fun and colorful and if i should get rid of any.
I wouldn't mind keeping the bala shark till he got bigger and then get rid of... dunno if that's a good idea or not.

Thanks guys! I am excited to see what happens with my tank!

:welcome: to AA! (y)

Certainly rehome the Bala Shark and the Red-tail Shark ... IMO. I'd say RTS's are better kept in a 75gal minimum due to their territorial aggression. You could get a Rainbow Shark in it's place, they are not as aggressive and do not get as large as an RTS (6 inches).

The other tetras and Danios would do fine if you keep their numbers above 4 each as they are all shoaling fish.

i fyou want to get schooling fish yhou should buy them in bigger groups
you also need some bottom cleaning fish
get like 7 cory cats or a few small loaches (same species)
I love pygmy cory cats but their life span is shorter than the bigger ones

Yea I read that the Albino Bala shark like to be in groups.

Anyhow. I need to then get a few more Danios and tetras to make them happier, Which is fine since I really like them and they are fun to watch.

I was thinking about getting 3 or 4 hatchet fish since I think they are so weird and awesome.

I still have to figure what to do for cleaner fish however. I will have to see what our pet store has.

Thanks for the welcome!
I'll keep it updated.

Back
Top Bottom