What fish should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabcake

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! I have been fishkeeping for 3+ years, and my dad got interested in keeping a fish tank in his office. He never took care of fish before, so I will come every week and help him with water changes until he gets comfortable to do it alone. He has some criteria though.

1. He wants a tank that isn't too small or too large. He wants something around the 50 gallon mark.

2. He wants a "beginner" fish.

3. He wants it not to be a community tank with a ton of fish. He wants just a few fish, maybe of the same species or different ones altogether.

4. If it is possible, he wants it to have a bit of personality.

5. This isn't his preference, but I would prefer something that is a freshwater species, not brakish or marine.

Thank you, everyone, in advance! It doesn't have to meet all the criteria, it were just a few guidelines.

I think you should take your dad to a fish store and see what takes his fancy.

If you want some opinions/ideas for a starting point.

50 gallons is a great size tank. Big enough to either host largish groups of small schooling fish or smaller numbers of medium sized fish. It is also forgiving of the odd mistake with a decent amount of water. I started out with 200 litres (about 50 gallons I think) and it gives plenty of scope for aquascaping if thats your thing, and there are plenty of options for upgrading equipment as well.

With regards to fish, zebra danios are a bullet proof beginner fish and give a tank plenty of movement.

A group of corys have loads of character if in sufficient numbers. I have 12 or 13 panda corys, occasionally get babies even though I do nothing to support them breeding. They maintain a pretty much stable population. I think I bought 10 originally 2 years ago.

Personally, I think 50 gallons with a bottom fish, 2 different types of middle/top small schooling fish and maybe a centre piece would look great. Pair of angels or a ram maybe. Go low tech planted for a natural look. But, it should really be about what your dad wants. Look at set ups on here or youtube, visit a few fish stores.

Mollies. They get a decent size around 4" and the females have a ton of personality. Mine greet me at the tank side or nibble my hands when I do a water change.
They may be a top feeder but I've noticed them scrounging around the bottom for leftovers so you don't need a bottom feeder.
The mollies in the hobby are freshwater but can be converted to brackish which is 100% optional.
You can keep all females to prevent breeding but they may be pregnant when you buy them.

If your dad doesn’t want a big school of something, I would second the angles recommendation. Real thinkers and engaging. Easy low light plants and some drift wood or rock. Some sort of loach for the bottom or cories.

Back
Top Bottom