What fish should i stock my 10 gal with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettacrazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had a filtered 10 gallon freshwater aquarium for a while and it has been cycling for 8 months. I want it to be a community tank, but I don't want to overcrowd. Any stocking suggestions?

There are lots of options! I personally love the livebearers, they are hardy and can be very beautiful and have cute personalities. Some possibilities are guppies, mollies, platys, and maybe some bottom feeders like a BN pleco, or a small group of corys :) (from personal experience ill tell you BN plecos are amazing at keeping the glass sparkling clean and free of algae, and they stay the perfect size for a 10g- as long as you don't mind some creepy facial bristles!)

Also props to you for being patient and letting the tank cycle so long!

A 10 gallon is too small for a bnp. You could do a live bearer tank but your sure to be overran with fry very quickly. Personal experiences with my 10 gallon,all at different times of course:
a group of 6 Harlequin and 3 dwarf Cory catfish.
6 neon tetras, 3 ottos and ghost shrimp
Currently I have a single male betta with blueberry shrimp, I've attached a few pics.

Attachments

• image-763129465.jpg
    image-763129465.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1429474910.jpg
    image-1429474910.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 69
Neon tetras are pretty active for a 10 gallon, of course, you could put them, but they might not be very happy

If you do cories they should Pygmy. Normal cories would be too large for a ten gallon. Most cories get around 3 inces, Pygmys will only get to 1 inch. Also, you should keep at least 5 cories.

I would go with shrimps, Pygmy cories, a dwarf gourami, and a school (4-6) of the smallest rasboras or tetras you can find at your LFS.

Yes, harlequin rasboras are good, so you could try
5 harlequin rasboras
1 dwarf gourami
8 ghost shrimp

Back
Top Bottom