What fish to get!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelbidavis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just got a 46 gallon tank! I need opinions to what fish will work great in it, and what fish they will be compatible with?!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry forgot to say freshwater, and not way pricey. I already have tetras but I really like gouramis, angel fish, red fin sharks, and low maintenance fish

So I guess it's a planted tank? You can get a school of cardinal tetra, 1or2 angel fish clown loach. But if 46 gallon tank, you should keep some cichlids instead :p

How many cichlids would you suggest? Don't they get too big for 46 gal?

What's your experience so to speak with tropical fish keeping. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle. While you decide on what you want to stock the tank with. It's best to get all equipment needed with maintaining a happy and comfortable environment for your fish to live in. Start cycling the tank fishless and add a little bit of fish flakes every two days whilst monitoring your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.
For your tank stocking id do either a pair of angels, pair of gouramis (kissing, any dwarf gouramis, pearl) as a showpiece pair in the tank and then fill it in with some schooling fish. You could do a school of 5-6 Corys or loaches as bottom dwellers. and two more schools of 5-8 tetras (Not neons, angels are known for snacking on them), or if not tetras then some cherry barbs (playful, active and hardy) or harlequin rasboras.

This is my two cent anyway.

Well... Most African cichlid doesn't get too big, some of those that I recommend is Jewel cichlid and kribensis. They are easy to take care of and not too expensive, you can put about 12 African cichlid in your tank (as long as it's the small ones)

Ok sweet! So How about 7 neons, 3 black neon tetras. How many cories? And how many gouramis? What about an electric yellow lab?? They are cichlids, would they fit in all that?

Endless hate, those cichlids are awesome!! So cichlids are ok with gouramis?

Dang it, I already have neons :( I really want cichlids tho

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412049310.575302.jpg I will have real plants soon by the way

Ok sweet! So How about 7 neons, 3 black neon tetras. How many cories? And how many gouramis? What about an electric yellow lab?? They are cichlids, would they fit in all that?

Yeah sounds good. You could do as small as 5 but I think any less then 8 wouldn't fill out the bottom. With the gouramis it depends on the species kissing and pearls you would need a pair m/f but any dwarfs like honey, or flame you could have two pairs m/f as Long as there was enough to break up line of sight should there be any bickering.

A yellow lab is an African cichlid. African cichlids are best kept in cichlid only tanks.

Wow nice tank! I think you should keep working with tetra and angel in that tank now... Cichlid prefer a lot of rock work.

Ok thank you both!!!! Very very helpful!

Oh! Those looks nice! I have tetras, will they get along with most fish then?

There are different kinds of Apistogramma agassizii, blue, red versions, or Apistogramma cacatuoides Cockatoo, red versions. I don't know them all.

Bolivian Rams are nice too.

Back
Top Bottom