What happened to my fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dliteya

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What in the world is this?? I sent 16 fish to fishy heaven last night, 4 this morning and now I have 8 more....... what in the world happened???

I did a 40% water change 3 weeks ago.......I do about one a month. Nothing has changed.

Attachments

• dsc00059.jpg
    dsc00059.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 317
  • dsc00059.jpg
    dsc00059.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 43
  • dsc00061_466.jpg
    dsc00061_466.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 67
dliteya said:
What in the world is this?? I sent 16 fish to fishy heaven last night, 4 this morning and now I have 8 more....... what in the world happened???

I did a 40% water change 3 weeks ago.......I do about one a month. Nothing has changed.

Those fish look like they've been dead for longer than this morning, and you say some just died a few hours ago? They've already started to decompose. I was gonna ask for your water parameters but under the circumstances, with all the dead fish, I'm sure they are spiking through the roof. :?
I would think pinpointing a cause at this point would be very difficult.
Since you say nothing has changed and all was well up til last night, any chance something may have contaminated the water? Is all your equipment working properly? :|

That is very sad. :(

I agree with fluff....to lose so many fish like that.....so fast I would think they were probably poisoned by something getting in their water or the heater broke and the fish got cooked. The one picture though has a fuzzy fish that looks like its been dead a week. Have you checked the temp of the water? My mom once lost a whole tank to heater malfunction.

Your tank looks small, seeing both sides of it in the one picture like that. I'm guessing 10 gallons or a tad more?

I'm guessing you put WAY too many fish in there, don't change your water for 3 weeks, and they all passed. They do look rotting and stuff. One night of that would be enough to raise ammonia levels, and keep them dying. You still have 8 more fish? How big is the tank?

Since you have dead fish on both the bottom and the top of the tank, it appears that as the others have said, this could not have occurred over a two day period.

Do you have any survivors? If you do, test your water and find out what the levels are. I'm sure that it was either NH3, NO2 or a very high NO3 level that caused this over some time.

To lose so many fish in a short period of time..it may be a heat malfunction or how about a water change with untreated tap water..the clorine in the tap could kill a tankful of fish pretty quick

Use any glass cleaner on or near the tank?airfreshner in the general area of the tank?paint?carpet cleaner?insecticide?did you use a water conditioner?does the heater work?what are your water chems?temp?add anything to the tank?clean the filter?-Anne

I do agree that the two fish at the top were probably dead longer than the others at the bottom. I have a thick layer of anacharis at the top and they could have gotten lost in there. However, the fish at the bottom where an overnight thing. When I got into the tank to do a major overhaul, I found several fish in the mess of plants. That lead me to believe that overlooking those fish caused ammonia poisioning. I changed 75% of the water and put new carbon cartridges in my UGF and changed out the filters in my AGF. In the process of cleaning, I noticed that one of my plecos was starting to tip over and was in fact dying. This morning, he is back up and running :D I have five fish left and they are eating and seem to be "dancing" around.

""""Jchillin Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:09 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you have dead fish on both the bottom and the top of the tank, it appears that as the others have said, this could not have occurred over a two day period.

It did in fact occur over a two day period. But now that I have found the "hidden cemetary" it is understandable how it happenend so fast.

The fish at the bottom were covered with what I think may be white hair algae. I have it all over the rocks and it got on them fast.

I am going to do completely overhaul the tank next week. I will take my survivors and put them in the fishy motel until this tank is cycled and ready to go. Oh and BTW, the tank is a 50gal.

75% water changes alone are not good for the fish...did you do that before or after the mass death? and i again ask did you condition the water after water changes?

Fish already floating would definitely indicate that they've been dead for a long time, since when they first die, they sink to the bottom and then float.

Yes, I do condition the water every time I do a water change. I have well water which has been testing with virtually no chlorine or very little, but I still condition. Yes, I do believe that a 75% water change could harm the fish, but under these circumstances, it saved their lives. As I stated in my last post, after uncovering the cemetery, I realized that I had a serious ammonia poisioning. My pleco was floating sideways, then next day he had made a great comeback and is back to his old self. The rest of the survivors are darting around and eating again. All seems to be well for now. I thank all of you for your thoughts and help.

Back
Top Bottom