What happens to Pacus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobiusnu

Aquarium Advice Activist
Pacus seems to be sold almost everywhere, but there can't be that many massive tanks hanging out in houses all over the country.

Maybe because they are very easy to breed, and as very little are purchased they just sit in the lfs?

mobiusnu said:
Pacus seems to be sold almost everywhere, but there can't be that many massive tanks hanging out in houses all over the country.
Hm, I never thought of that. Maybe some uninformed people are buying and putting them in small tanks. :?

They grow rapidly on their unsuspecting owners, and force them to buy larger and larger tanks.

Why not just eat them? Every one of the South Americans who has seen my tank says that Pacus taste great.

Hmmmmmm.......

Yeah i would imagine most of them end up dumped into ponds or lakes.

They would probably survive the summer but thats about it. At least here in New England anyhow.

Hopefully mine is almost done growing!

yeah, I am a member of a car board and a girl on there, with a 46 gallon tank had, I kid you not, a pair of convicts, 1 koi, 1 common pleco, 1 oscar, and a pacu. Luckily there were a couple other people that knew about fish and we explained to her how screwed up her tank was.

I'm always tempted to put mine in my pool... Its got a heater... :lol:

too bad it would cost about eleventybillion dollars to keep the pool heated during the winter. and it would get pretty green and gross looking without the chemicals.

I wonder if there are any fish safe alternatives to chlorine we could use at my house... then we could take The Fish swimming with us.

I know of a number of people that have built large in-home tanks (some as big as 3800 gallons), and big pool/pond-type tanks (often in their garages) to accomodate giant fish....unfortunately, they count for less than 1% of pacus sold.

Hmm...

If i lived somewhere south i would make a nice pond setup and build a simple solar heating system to keep the temps about 5 degrees warmer.

Back
Top Bottom