What have you been told lately by your LFS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poliwog17

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had the guy at my LFS today tell me my Glofish could in no possible way be pregnant because they are infertile. I know it's illegal to sell them but I've seen glo fry before...

They aren't live bearers, not to sound snooty, but they are danios/ minnows and their fry are not glofish but normal danios, or tetras depending on which one you're taking about

They aren't live bearers, not to sound snooty, but they are danios/ minnows and their fry are not glofish but normal danios, or tetras depending on which one you're taking about

Yeah so they lay eggs so what I meant is they can still have babies.

The jellyfish gene is in fact passed down from generation to generation.

While they don't really get "pregnant," as they are egg-scatterers, they still have the capabilities of reproducing.

Yeah the babies have the colors too. You can YouTube it. They look like little fruity pebbles.

the LFS are probably being instructed to say that so the manufacturer of GLOFISH have more to sell, as they hope private breeders won't be in the market.

nereksnad said:
the LFS are probably being instructed to say that so the manufacturer of GLOFISH have more to sell, as they hope private breeders won't be in the market.

Oh yeah that makes sense. And it's illegal to breed them in some places...it might only be in california.
I guess they don't want a bunch of genetically altered fruit loops wreaking havoc on the water.

Probably so......I believe they are also instructed to post their minimum tank size at 2 gallons, because of the tiny glofish tanks made by the GLOFISH company.

The only thing I've seen with my own eyes is normal looking pearl danio fry come from eggs of glofish, but yes, I will agree the tetras are born like that (not a YouTube video, but at my friends pet store.)

The only thing I've seen with my own eyes is normal looking pearl danio fry come from eggs of glofish, but yes, I will agree the tetras are born like that (not a YouTube video, but at my friends pet store.)

I have never seen the tetra just the danio.

Back
Top Bottom