What if....? Converting tank to African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andrew McFadden said:
This is going to look good can't wait for ya to get the decor done and full of water. :)

Thanks me either!

Andrew McFadden said:
I used pvc and covered it with sand to blend in all you can see is the holes.

I was thinking of doing that. I've got PVC and silicone already. I can always make some after the tanks going and I need more caves.

image-2938879277.jpg

image-707777239.jpg

image-3824860644.jpg

Put all the lava rock in. There's lots of nooks and tunnels behind the larger rocks. I'm worried because all the 'caves' are hidden. Will I still see fish? Lol

Mumma.of.two said:
Thanks me either!

I was thinking of doing that. I've got PVC and silicone already. I can always make some after the tanks going and I need more caves.

Put all the lava rock in. There's lots of nooks and tunnels behind the larger rocks. I'm worried because all the 'caves' are hidden. Will I still see fish? Lol

You'll see them the peacocks and haps won't use the rocks. The mbuna will but mime only really use them when the lights are out or scared of something. Oh and or breeding but even then they are out

Mumma.of.two said:
Let's see, I have the 70g, 40g goldfish, 26g divided Betta tank, 17g community, 10g community, 8g community, 8g riparium, 7g cube with Betta and 2.5g with Betta. All are planted even the goldfish tank.

No saltwater ???????

It's to cloudy to see on my phone
Did you glue or put rocks at the base of the plants?
I couldn't keep plants in mine the mbuna kept tearing them up and I didn't like the looks without it so I put fake ones in. But you may be ok since your not planing on putting much mbunas

Mumma.of.two said:
Yep! I've got some anubias and some swords already. If they get destroyed, meh! No big loss.

Not yet. One day though, when we aren't in a rental property.

As much as you know with everything you would do good at salt.
I set one up and kept it for 7 years and took it down and set it back up 4 times cause of moving. Then I sold it when we built our house cause I couldn't use the stuff I had for that tank in this one. And at the time we couldn't afford to buy the stuff so that's how I ended up with Malawi cichlids. In the next couple years my wife wants me to set up a reef tank and I was thinking somewhere between the lines of a 75-125 tank. That's my story lol but ill get it back I miss it. Fresh is just not the same for some reason or another I can't pin point why I have that feeling.

Andrew McFadden said:
It's to cloudy to see on my phone
Did you glue or put rocks at the base of the plants?
I couldn't keep plants in mine the mbuna kept tearing them up and I didn't like the looks without it so I put fake ones in. But you may be ok since your not planing on putting much mbunas

No glue. I crammed the anubia in a hole in the rocks lol. Probably going to need gluing once I get fish in there. The swords are just in the sand. They get pretty big root systems once established so hopefully will stay put.

Andrew McFadden said:
That turned out nice

Thanks. I'll get a better picture when the lights come on this morning.

Andrew McFadden said:
As much as you know with everything you would do good at salt.
I set one up and kept it for 7 years and took it down and set it back up 4 times cause of moving. Then I sold it when we built our house cause I couldn't use the stuff I had for that tank in this one. And at the time we couldn't afford to buy the stuff so that's how I ended up with Malawi cichlids. In the next couple years my wife wants me to set up a reef tank and I was thinking somewhere between the lines of a 75-125 tank. That's my story lol but ill get it back I miss it. Fresh is just not the same for some reason or another I can't pin point why I have that feeling.

:) I think my husband would really love a SW tank. He's obsessed with the beach but we live on a huge mountain range 3 hours from it :/ I keep trying to get him to read up on it so we can set one up together.
I'm having nightmares of moving my FW tanks. Lol I don't know how you moved 4 times!

Mumma.of.two said:
No glue. I crammed the anubia in a hole in the rocks lol. Probably going to need gluing once I get fish in there. The swords are just in the sand. They get pretty big root systems once established so hopefully will stay put.

Thanks. I'll get a better picture when the lights come on this morning.

:) I think my husband would really love a SW tank. He's obsessed with the beach but we live on a huge mountain range 3 hours from it :/ I keep trying to get him to read up on it so we can set one up together.
I'm having nightmares of moving my FW tanks. Lol I don't know how you moved 4 times!

Lol I may of had to move a salt tank but I didn't have to move 6+

Btw, all my anubius are crammed in the rocks too :) But they are usually floating every other day lol, as a matter of fact they are floating now! Haha!

Back
Top Bottom