what is a sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A sump is a small tank that plumbs/runs into a larger one. It can be a place for filter media, to hide heaters, etc. I don't really think there is as much use for sumps in freshwater tanks as there are in saltwater tanks, but it still givers you extra water flow and keeps your tank clear of equipment.

This link shows one on a reef tank, but you still get the picture. The tank on the bottom is a sump.

http://www.melevsreef.com/sump.html

Yeah, basically a hidden tank where you do everything to the water you need to like heating and filtering to keep your main tank nice and neat.

not sure why they are not more common in freshwater as the principles hold.

A sump is basically a hole or well with water in it, but for aquariums it's normally a secondary tank that is used for filtering and hiding unsightly equipment, like Devilishturtles noted. You can check out the following site of a guy, who designs and builds his own sumps.

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Edit: Perhaps I should have read the full post before reciting the same things.

Sumps are a tank or water box, usually situated below main tank water level, that water flows into by gravity and siphon, and is returned to the tank via a pump.

Sumps also expand the water volume of the system. If you have a 50 gal tank, and a 20 gal volume in the sump, then the water volume of your system is increased to 70 gallons even though the space inside the display tank remains the same.

Sumps do best with a tank that is drilled for a built in overflow. This avoids the worry about a HOB overflow loosing siphon. When siphon is lost on a HOB overflow, the sump's pump continues to send the sump water back into the tank even though none is leaving the tank via the overflow. If your main tank water level plus the sump volume is too much, a flood results. HOB overflow malfunction is not common though.

Sumps also gurgle, creating more noise than HOB filters or canister filters.

They are more costly to buy, unless you DIY. Even with DIY, after plumbing, pump, overflow, and sump your cost will likely be well above a HOB filter, and perhaps higher than most canisters. Still hard to overcome the extra cost of a pre-drilled tank with interior, built in overflows.

Many aquarium set ups do not have room under the tank for a very large sump, reducing the benefit of extra volume. With in line heaters and canister filters, you don't need a sump to get unsightly equipment out of the tank.

Thus, most FW sump users do so because they already have the equipment needed to make one (eliminating the cost issue), they need the extra water volume, or they enjoy building things.

tom2k

Hey TomK2, saw in you info you have had good luck growing Polyvinylus Chloridus sp. of plants. I am always looking for stuff I am less likely to kill attempting to grow. But I have not been able to find any reference to those species. Are they by chance related to any of the Fakius Silkius species I use frequently? Really hardy stuff. :D

They indeed are very closely related! You usually find them both side by side in symbiotic bliss. :)

Back
Top Bottom