What is everyone's opinions on plecos in with goldies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stefernini

Aquarium Advice Freak
My two goldies are in a 55 gallon tank and now they have a BN pleco buddy. He's been in with them about two months. He was in a tropical tank that I took down and no one wanted him. I have been trying to find him a new home before winter as my tank is in the basement and drops to 55 degrees or so, but I put a heater in there that's set to 68 just in case I can't. My question is this however, my pleco seems to be happier than he ever was in my tropical tank, he has more color and has been far more active and he is keeping the goldies tank far cleaner than he ever kept the tropical tank and I no longer have to scrape the walls!, so, what would be the drawbacks of just calling off rehoming him and leaving him in there? Most everything and everyone says that plecos shouldn't be kept with goldfish. Most arguments are because of the temp, but if it doesn't get below 65, the pleco should be fine, and the tank never gets above about 70 naturally, so the goldies are good. Also, he's a BN, not a common, and he has never gone anywhere near my goldies, so I don't think he'll try to suck on them. Can I keep him? :D

That ended up longer than planned...

I would say go for it. Plecos are very versatile and adapt to most situations with ease. Ive kept many tanks with various fish like goldfish and plecos of many types together, never once have I had one attack the other (the same goes for the CAE ive kept with my koi.
Your pleco should be fine, any pics of the tank per chance? I want to set up another shubunkin tank and im lookin for ideas :p

Leave him, once they make it to adulthood they're pretty much bullet proof.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ohkeg2q.jpg

I need to get my actual camera out and get a better picture.

EDIT: The pleco in question

OgBu4cT.jpg

Looks like a very nice tank! Well done madam!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes I quite like that. there's a lot of swimming space for the goldies

my pleco tears up almost any fish he comes in contact with but he is also 16+ inches
i would get a pict but he is in his cave right now

i thought that myself but he literally goes after any fish with his razor sharp top fin and slices them to shreds , he was always very laid back still is but if he see's a fish watch out

i thought that myself but he literally goes after any fish with his razor sharp top fin and slices them to shreds , he was always very laid back still is but if he see's a fish watch out

wow.....he sounds like a beast haha.

If a pleco is given a cave or hiding spot, generally he should keep to himself and only attack anyone that gets too close. From my experience females are slightly more docile.

I just specifically got a bristlenose pleco for the goldfish tank after some in depth research on the advisability of itb and it's one that everything I read says does pretty well with them and the dojo's.

The temperature is really a moot point. The main concern is the sucking of slime coat, which is not all that common. There are different theories on why they do that, but the one I subscribe to is improper diet for the pleco. Plecos need protein in their diets and if they aren't getting enough they can supplement with slime. Based on the accounts I've read, once a fish does this it will not stop. Sooo, it's only a problem if it becomes a problem.

From what I have read, the Bristlenose Pleco is well suited to the Coldwater tank required by the goldfish. They are also one of the more Peaceful Plecos and remain relatively small. There have been articles about Plecos sucking on goldfish slime coat, but usually from the larger variety. Keep him in the 55. Should have no problems. If tank is very clean and he is low on algae, just throw in an algae wafer.

Back
Top Bottom