What is that stuff that grows on uneaten food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwerveDriver

Aquarium Advice Regular
If I drop an algae or sinking wafer and it goes uneaten something fuzzy grows from it. What is it? Is it fungus?

It's like a light fuzzy mould or fungus that grows on it. I usually remove them after they go uneaten for a day. But would shrimp eat this stuff? I have a shrimp only tank which I occasionally feed some algae/sinking wafers.

It's fungus and the food should not be left in the tank in that condition as it can rapidly deteriorate the quality of your water/spoil your tank.

Don't know about the shrimp but my ottos really went to town on the mold that grew on a piece of driftwood I had when I first started my tank. They are algaevores like your shrimp probably. I say it would be worth a try. Just start with a small piece & see how they do.

I don't know if I would really stick a decaying piece of food back into the tank. Decaying food give off ammonia, and can quickly raise up levels in your tank. I would just feed the bottom food every once in a while (since obviously your fish aren't eating all of it) and make sure to remove it when you are done.

Not positive at all about the fungus being safe, but I would imagine any sort of fungus you would definitley want to get out of there asap, and not let anything else eat at it.

HTH

The hotter the temp of the tank, the quicker it will fungus.

I agree with devilishturtles, I would immediately remove it. Plus, if you have fungus on your food, you are seriously overfeeding the tank.

Back
Top Bottom