what is this? Bad or good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jr5018

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok can anyone tell me what this is it is like a red carpet growing on my substrate about 1/8 of an inch thick is it bad?

It looks like cyanobacteria. AKA red slime algae. I don't really know if it's bad, I'll let someone with more experience answer that for you. But it is unsightly and can take over quick. I think it's caused by exess nutrients in the water. I had it bad and got rid of it and my hair algae by switching over to RO/DI water and not feeding so much.

Yup, it looks like cyano, try cutting back on feeding, if you don't use RO/DI water for water changes and topoffs, I would start doing so. And just as important, try to evaluate the flow in the affected areas. In most cases, increasing the flow to the the affected areas can really help reduce the bloom. While doing all this, try removing what you can of the cyano by siphoning or pulling it out by hand. HTH

I have the same problem but it went away and now its back. i am now using phosphate remover in my filter media to help but i think maybe its caused by using tap water for topoffs and changes.

Ok cool You guys are great I thought I had it all under control but BAM!! I get this crap. I will remove it by hand and start feeding less. I have used RO water from day 1 and i thought i did everything right. But O well. I am kind of scared I have to go to IRAQ for 6 months and leave my wife with the tank. Kinda dreading what i am going to come back to. So if you all get some really newbie questions in the recent future please bear with her and help her as much as possible.. Again I cant thank you guys enough for all your help You are all wonderful.

Cyanobacteria are not true photosynthetics like most other "algae" that we battle. They are capable of photosynthesis, but most of their energy comes from braking down DOC. If your tank is new, be patient, it will go away, its only a cycling phase that goes away relativly quickly. If your tank is old, make sure all your circulation and filtration works, and clean it all so its working in tip top condition. Then do a water change. If this does not take care of it, you are either overfeeding your fish or you are too high on your bioload. But I remind you, IF this is a new tank (<2 months) leave it alone. Alow the tank to cycle itself out.

Andrej

Back
Top Bottom