what is this black furry stuff??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not to hijack your thread, but I think you may have just given a name to what I've been trying to diagnose and treat in my tank. I thought it was diatoms at first, but instead of going away, it just grew thicker.
Is this also bba?
I just took a bunch of decorations out yesterday and scrubbed them all down, and pruned the worst of those leaves.
What causes it, and how do you get rid of it?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-2869810919.jpg
    image-2869810919.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 75
Mostly it's caused by too much light left on too long daily. Flexuating CO2 also can be attributed to it. Try running lights only 6 hours a day until it's under control for starters. If your running CO2 you'll need to talk to someone who can give you some help since I don't run CO2.

The best way to treat it is by using Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide. Pull up 2 or 3ml of either H2O2 or Excel per 10 gallons of tank water in a needless syringe, hold very close to the algae and slowly squirt it. If you have alot of BBA you will have to treat an area daily until all is treated. Usually within 24 hours the treated algae will begin turning white/pink/red which means it dying. If you treat with Hydrogen Peroxide, H2O2, then you need to turn your lights and filters off for 15 minutes to treat.

On really heavily infested leaves I suggest cutting them off.

If you add chemicals to get rid of it, STILL cut the light hours down to 6. If you don't rectify the problem then it will just come back. Adding chemicals is not really good for your aquarium anyway. Always rectify the problem first

Thank you (and thanks OP for letting me share)!

I don't run co2, but I do leave my lights on excessively long. I have weird hours so it seems like I can either have them on for 2 or 12 hours a day... Looking into timers, but I haven't yet found one that works with my outlet situation.
I appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom