What is this bump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ronda

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Electric Green Tetra has a lump on the side of his lips. Its white and it has been growing. I got him in August and he looked perfectly healthy until late November. All my other fish seem to be happy and healthy. What could this be?

Attachments

• image-1948705635.jpg
    image-1948705635.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 91
  • image-3503993591.jpg
    image-3503993591.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 93
He looks healthy otherwise from the photos. Do you have a QT tank?

I think so. Do you have a sponge filter and a small heater? That's all you need for now. Change the water out 100% a day to keep the water clean and the ammonia down. His mouth sore may clear up with just frequent water changes.

I think so. Do you have a sponge filter and a small heater? That's all you need for now. Change the water out 100% a day to keep the water clean and the ammonia down. His mouth sore may clear up with just frequent water changes.

Okay I can do that. I don't have a sponge filter but I can pick one up. So 100% water changes every day until it hopefully gets better or goes away? Should I keep the temp high? Or add salt? I've never had a problem like this!

Has it just been gradually growing since November? It looks like a fleshy growth (not a fluid filled blister), correct? How do your parameters look? Water change schedule? Diet? Thanks!

Okay I can do that. I don't have a sponge filter but I can pick one up. So 100% water changes every day until it hopefully gets better or goes away? Should I keep the temp high? Or add salt? I've never had a problem like this!

The tank is only for observation so i would keep the temps the same as the tank. Pour a tsp. of epsom salt in the water to encourage the swelling to go down.

Has it just been gradually growing since November? It looks like a fleshy growth (not a fluid filled blister), correct? How do your parameters look? Water change schedule? Diet? Thanks!

The tank is only for observation so i would keep the temps the same as the tank. Pour a tsp. of epsom salt in the water to encourage the swelling to go down.

Im sorry I haven't been able to get back with you guys! I have been so busy! Yes it has been growing since November. Veryyyyy slowly. I got her a 10gal QT tank with a sponge filter, lots of water changes, salt, normal temp, no change. I've been trying to research it but I haven't found anything. She looks happy though so I don't think she's in pain. And the bump isn't in the way of her eating so Im just going to keep a close eye on her.

Will keep you updated! Thanks for being so patient!

Ronda, please post photos if you can. We are trying to determine if its an infection or a growth.

I suspect its just a growth, likely viral in nature (lymphocystis). If it was an infection, the fish would likely not have survived this long. Pristine water and very nutritious diet to bolster the immune system are the only 'treatments' unless veterinary intervention is sought.

oops, sorry, you already posted. I agree with JLK. It's a growth.

Ronda, please post photos if you can. We are trying to determine if its an infection or a growth.

Sorry it is extremely hard to take photos of this one!

Attachments

• image-2642252462.jpg
    image-2642252462.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 70
  • image-488689479.jpg
    image-488689479.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 57
Ronda, does it look inflamed, like an infection, or more like a growth? How fast is it growing? Is it gotten bigger since you started this thread? It looks like it from the new photos?

Ronda, does it look inflamed, like an infection, or more like a growth? How fast is it growing? Is it gotten bigger since you started this thread? It looks like it from the new photos?

Yes it has definitely gotten bigger! I first noticed it Late November and since I posted this it has grown probably 30%. I don't have much experience with sick fish but it looks like a growth to me.

Ronda, is it inflamed? If it doesn't look inflamed, it may be a growth that you can do nothing about.

Ronda, is it inflamed? If it doesn't look inflamed, it may be a growth that you can do nothing about.

It doesn't look inflamed at all. Just a weird bump. Do you think it'll grow a lot more? Will it eventually stop growing??

It doesn't look inflamed at all. Just a weird bump. Do you think it'll grow a lot more? Will it eventually stop growing??

It's hard to say but from your description, it looks like it will continue to grow. Keep us posted.

Sorry to hear that your fish passed away. It would have been nice to know what he was suffering from.

Back
Top Bottom