What is this in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vinniethethumb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
found this today on the glass of my tank. I have a mail betta, some snails and ghost shrimp in the tank. My only guess is its some kind of eggs, but from what.

Look for others i guarentee there are... Either ur betta will eat them oooorrr theyll hatch and grow up in ur tank... If u dont want a ton of snails running around id take them out

Are Snails a bad thing I noticed one on the glass last night and just ignored it as I thought it will keep my aquarium clean

Thats exactly it! They clean the tank... Except they reproduce like every week so in like a month ur tank will be over run with snails which is the only bad thing about em... Get rid of the egg batches you can see

Snails aren't that bad. They only really have population explosions when you overfeed your aquarium. Some people do really hate them though.

For me, they perform a good service eating leftover food so it doesn't rot.

Ive had snails in my 20 for years.Never a huge population explosion.Once in a while you might notice more than other times ,but never out of control.I actually enjoy watching them.Its pretty cool how much area they can cover in a short period of time.My Gouramis act like they enjoy playing with them.Once in a while you will see a snail float around in the current and a gourami chasing it.

Look for others i guarentee there are... Either ur betta will eat them oooorrr theyll hatch and grow up in ur tank... If u dont want a ton of snails running around id take them out

While some fish eat snails, I don't know of any that eat snail eggs including betta's. You can manually remove the eggs if you don't want them to hatch but there are going to be eggs in places you don't see them. If you get too many snails in a tank you need to reduce feeding fish and/or you can get something like assassin snails or certain types of loaches that gladly feast on them. In the 30+ years I've been keeping planted tanks I have never overly concerned myself with snails. I've actually never used assassin snails but do keep certain types of loaches to keep pond/bladder snails under control. That is most likely the type of snail eggs you have.

Back
Top Bottom