What is this on the rock cave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbourg746

Aquarium Advice Addict
Noticed this fungus looking stuff on one I my decorations in the tank with my jack? Water parameters are testing good. What could it be. It's opaque, almost clear. It's not on any other of the decorations in the tank.

That could be a number of things, could be biological bacteria (kinda like the live
Rock stuff)
Or if its old
The outer layer could just be peeling away. What type of fish do you have? Might not make a huge differance but a low ph is more acidic and could possily wear on decor over time if they are
Old... Hard to really tell. If your worried take it out and scrub it!

Well....it's def not anything peeling off. I just noticed it today while trying to get a pic of my jack Dempsey. My pleco has not left the thing in an hour or so. My water as of Sunday was good. I don't wanna go messing with it if it's suppose to be there. Never saw anything like it before.

Not to say its not suppose to be there but honestly ive had all sorts of
Cichlids for many years and i have never really
Seen anyhong like it.. Just scrub it off with hot water i guess. It wont hurt to play it safe

Here's some pics closer up. The jack seems overly aggressive towards the pleco now also.

cbourg746 said:
I washed it in hot water and did a 50% water change. Hope all goes well.

It will go away after time it grew in my tank on some of the decor when I first set up. It shouldn't harm the fish or anything so don't worry. The only thing you can do is keep cleaning it off till it stops since its kinda ugly. I personally got tired of cleaning it so I let it go till I thought it stoped.

Back
Top Bottom