What is this pink button polyps doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No_Name

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It about 4-5 inches long now what is it. Start with 1 polyp now there five doing the same thing, is it waste?

I think they are referring to the string coming off the Zoas. You can't see it unless you click the picture to enlarge it. Not sure what that is. I didn't know Zoas excreted waste like LPS do. I will be interested to know what it is.

It about 4-5 inches long now what is it. Start with 1 polyp now there five doing the same thing, is it waste? All animals expel waste in the form of Ammonia and nitrates. In Zooanthelea that live in corals that waste is almost 98% taken up by the coral as food and amino acids and other forms of sugar...

Yes, they are expelling waste. Zoas only have one opening and what goes in after digesting comes out the same hole as waste...

Last edited:
Thank Thincat then they poo a lot it now 2 hrs and their still on it lol.

Weird, i have never seen zoas do that. you can blow it off with a turkey baster if it sticks on them and bothers you.

That could also be an indication of stress. As TC stated they have but one opening.

When I got new zoas for my system they would expel like you have seen as a result of transit and adjusting to their new environment. Don't be alarmed they are tough critters and will bounce back if that is the case. It could be as others have stated just waste from digesting something.

Hey beautiful zoas, i have the same exact polpys, does anyone know if they have an exact name? or just....pink?

AOG from my tank. A variant I would say. Who knows. They are what ever you want to call them it seems.
dsc0200medium.jpg

Back
Top Bottom