what is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach103

Aquarium Advice Regular
ive got something not sure if its disease algae or what.. their little black hairs.

Attachments

• IMG-20110827-00006.jpg
    IMG-20110827-00006.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 123
That looks very much like black hair algae to me. I had an outbreak about 6 months ago. It's very hard to get rid of! I had to remove all decorations and scrub clean with a toothbrush, remove and replace all my plants, cut the lights back to 8 hrs a day and added more live plants to help compete with the algae. I have heard that Flourish excel can help, but I haven't tried it. Some people suggest a complete blackout in your tank for a couple days. Good Luck.

Excel!! I removed all plants, wood and decor. Scrubbed decor and sprayed it with straight Excel. Scrubbed the wood and soaked plants in potassium permanganate (Jungle's Water Clear) and also sprayed them with straight Excel. Let everything sit while i did a PWC, rinsed it all and put it back. I add 1/2 dose Excel every other day ever since. It's been a month and a half and NO algae has returned.
Mine hitched a ride to my tank on a plant from the LFS. I didn't realize what a problem it would be. Now I ALWAYS disinfect new plants!!!

tulip55555 said:
Excel!! I removed all plants, wood and decor. Scrubbed decor and sprayed it with straight Excel. Scrubbed the wood and soaked plants in potassium permanganate (Jungle's Water Clear) and also sprayed them with straight Excel. Let everything sit while i did a PWC, rinsed it all and put it back. I add 1/2 dose Excel every other day ever since. It's been a month and a half and NO algae has returned.
Mine hitched a ride to my tank on a plant from the LFS. I didn't realize what a problem it would be. Now I ALWAYS disinfect new plants!!!

How do you disinfect plants?

I use potassium permanganate because it kills algae, bacteria and snails. Bleach seems too harsh and alum takes too long. Some people use peroxide and swear it kills snails, but in research I have done I have read that it doesn't. I have melted vallisneria with peroxide, but never with PP. I have used it on mosses, java fern, anacharis, vals and swords with no problems.
Jungle's Clear Water's active ingredient is PP and it is very cheap. I found it at Pet Supplies Plus and Walmart. They also make a product called Water Clear for Ponds- it IS NOT the same thing.
This is where I got my info. On the second link there is also mention of another product available at fish stores-Lime It-I have never looked for it so idk if it is easy to find.

Jake’s Planted Aquarium Pages | Disinfecting Plants – Before or After

Freshwater-Aquarium-Fish.com - Receiving Mail-Order Aquarium Plants

Back
Top Bottom