What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Every since I bought plants in another town, I have been finding hitch hikers that I don't know what the H they are....I haven't posted a pic till now...what is this thing? I keep finding them...looks like a worm...

Attachments

• 20121031_123316.jpg
    20121031_123316.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 124
Really hard to say for sure based on the picture, but it appears that it may have legs or appendages of some sort? If so, it is most likely some type of larva form of aquatic insect. Maybe a coleoptera (beetle) or diptera (true fly).

Really hard to say for sure based on the picture, but it appears that it may have legs or appendages of some sort? If so, it is most likely some type of larva form of aquatic insect. Maybe a coleoptera (beetle) or diptera (true fly).

Yes it does have legs like a caterpillar and at one end it goes into a v shape...what do i do to rid them

Yes it does have legs like a caterpillar and at one end it goes into a v shape...what do i do to rid them

My guess then would be that it is the larva form of some type of coleoptera (beetle). The best and least impacting method on the rest of the aquarium is to simply hand pick them out of the tank. Any chance of a closer shot?

My guess then would be that it is the larva form of some type of coleoptera (beetle). The best and least impacting method on the rest of the aquarium is to simply hand pick them out of the tank. Any chance of a closer shot?

Here are 2 more...close as i could get

Attachments

• 20121031_130858.jpg
    20121031_130858.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20121031_130946.jpg
    20121031_130946.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 91
Based on the left picture, I'm guessing black fly larva. If that is the case, you could have tons of them in your tank. Off the top of my head, I really can't suggest a good method for removal. The good news is they will eventually hatch, and being filter feeders, they aren't going to harm anything.

Black fly larva - Bing Images

Has anyone heard of Para-Guard or any other aquatic parasite treatment that is good? Also, do I need to remove RTS and Rubber-lip from tank to use med?

Okay I just checked my filter media and it has alot of these nasty undesirable pests (in both filters)....how can I rid them from my filter without messing up my BB? help please:(:(:(

Okay I just checked my filter media and it has alot of these nasty undesirable pests (in both filters)....how can I rid them from my filter without messing up my BB? help please:(:(:(

Paraguard is safe but honestly don't think it will kill those. This is just an idea and honestly don't know if it will work but is there a way to remove a couple of them and see if Hydrogen Peroxide will kill them? I am wondering and by all means don't know what this would do to your BB but if it kills them you might be able to treat you media with H2O2. Or what about that post that was written just a day or two ago explaining how to use dog deworming to kill some tank parasites? That might actually be your best shot. I'll see if I can find it but you look too. I have two cats meowing me to distraction wanting to be fed... be back.

I have some deworming med it's yellow...I don't if it's the same....I worked hard to get this tanked cycled and now this..:-(

I think its your best bet for killing them. Copper would kill them but can't use it with plants, snails, shrimp.

You know parasitic products like Copper safe and other ones like that. You can use them in fish only tanks but there is alot of controversary about using them period.

This is my 55g and I only have DW and 3 fish..that's it:(
I am trying to load a pic of them in the filter but I don't have anymore space to upload pics..bummer

It is certainly a hard call. I'd be concerned about using anything I was unsure of the results with and given that worms and fly larva are two different animals I'm not sure it is something I would try. Let me ask you this, other than the fact that they look bad, exactly what harm are they causing in the tank? They are filter feeders, so they are actually helping to clean the water. Both the worms and the adult flies may provide a snack for some fish. So why risk the health of your tank in order to eliminate them. Some further reading;

Black Flies - Pest Control, Facts & Information | pest-control.com

Notice that they are not known to bite when they appear in the house.

After reading the link......I really want them out...I don't want them becoming adults, flying out of tank and biting me, grandbaby (8 months), and my daughter....

LOL, somehow I knew that would be the response. Again, the article points out that they are not known to bit when they get into a house. Oh well, I do understand your issue. Certainly based on other responses the dewormer should be safe enough to use in the indicated amounts, just not sure what effect it will have on the fly larva.

Back
Top Bottom