What is wrong with these 2 guppys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopeGR

Aquarium Advice Activist
It seems as though they have a pale, white patch on their body. I just saw this and I just got them 3 days ago. The bigger one is more active than the other. Both still eat, but the thin one seems to be on top most of the time. Are they sick?

Attachments

• gupp1.jpg
    gupp1.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 25
  • gupp2.jpg
    gupp2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 25
Columnaris is a possibility.

You could reduce the heat to 75F according to one site fishlab.

My opinion is to lower the temp about 1 degree every 8-12 hours.

Remove activated carbon and Purigen other media which neutralizes or absorbs things in the tank.

You get the good pwc's.

Make sure your aquarium water is in the safe zone including ammonia, even if it takes several pwc's.

Cleanest non toxic water possible. Temperature match and use dechlorinator always even if not mentioned to make the water safe for fish.

Nitrofurazone and Kanamycin are the combination of medications which seem to knock it down most effectively.

Re:

Thanks for the reply. Just lowered it to 75 degrees from 77, as you suggested. Sadly, the top one died. The bottom one still looks lively but not sure. I did a partial water change 25% on Sunday, should I do another tomorrow? Ammonia is zero and everything according to the strips is within range.

The water seems cloudy. I think the air pump stirs around the waste, which I like because it helps with filtration, but it can cloud water. I cleaned the filter cartridge in the morning and then added Tetra safe start. I added API Stresscoat also, and some clarifier an hour ago. The water hardly ever turns cloudy on me, but I think the air pump is the culprit. I don't run it 24/7, just during the day.

Is it wise to have Melafix on hand?

Did you rinse the filter media with treated (or dechlorinated) water, or tap water?

Melafix can help in skin issues / exterior body. It doesn't hurt to have it available.

Sorry to hear you lost one. Hoping this one can get better soon.

As for the cloudy water, and stuff circulating around in the tank, consider vac'ing the substrate. Perhaps there has been some over feeding, or the fish haven't eaten as much as normal as they are ill. A clue is the cloudy water. Too much food is frequently the initial cause.

If you don't have a vac, and you have the smaller tank, a Fluval Edge vac is wonderful because it is smaller diameter and you can get into smaller spaces easily. I like the longer one (I think its 15" maybe 12 :) ), and longer tubing.

Do a few more, more frequent pwc's, just to get a good fresh start with the water in the tank. It could be the extra organic matter can be replaced with the fresh new water and help with cloudiness (along with vac'ing ) and a watchful eye on the amount of food.

What food(s) are you feeding, often foods with more fillers can cause the water to go off kilter?

Re:

Thanks for the suggestions.
So...not looking good. I believe the reason was she got too stressed. The two males were just constantly trying to mate with her only for days...
I had it happen weeks ago to another female. Is it dropsy? Not sure. The other female had it much worse, and i think it was also due to overbreeding. I got them both in Sept, Labor Day weekend, and because I wanted balloon mollies, I upgraded to a 20 gal a month ago, and as a newbie, my poor tank cycling killed them :(
So I wanted to put her out of her misery just now, that when I scooped her up with the net, she was so active that I didn't have the heart to take her out. I released her back in the water, she turned a bit on her side but started to swim normally.

I just hate this stage. I hate waking up and seeing them dead in there while the others swim around :( I also fear contamination of the other fish as well.

I don't think I overfeed. I have fry and do a pinch of first bites and fancy guppy, 3x a day. And some days I do a pinch of flakes and veggie rounds.

I will do a 20 percent water change Saturday. I just did one last Saturday. Everything is normal according to the strips.

It's odd how males can pick on one female without a break, even when there may be another female in the tank. Maybe adding some aquarium salt. A few days back I added aquarium salt and Epsom salt and my sickly female us looking better, not great, but better. You may want to double check the strips against another, like at the pet store (call first to see if they only test on certain days one of ours has inlyv2 test dsys due to staffing levels). I had strips which I even periodically double checked with the liquid tests and I ended up losing amost all my fish because one section of my strip didn't show how bad the numbers were, showed safe level. But testing withvthw liquid showed very bad numbers.

Also still recommend an extra pwc in the middle of the week. For safety and having fry.

Back
Top Bottom