What just happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ohh.... boy, that might be it. I did about a 50% water change and changed the filters on Monday. I have a canister on the way and will be able to put ceramic rings in there. Ill keep everyone posted.

Don't beat yourself up. We all have made mistakes such as this. It's how we learn.

While you're cycling again, you'll have to check the water at least daily and water change accordingly. I've never owned cichlids before, so others will have to guide you on how sensitive they are.

Don't beat yourself up. We all have made mistakes such as this. It's how we learn.

+++++++++1!!!
Everyone! Has made mistakes as a beginner, even advanced aquarists make mistakes occasionally no matter how much they try to hide it.
I've been keeping fish for 15+ years and just 2 weeks ago I got columnaris because I slacked on my quarantining of new fish and lost 10 fish from 2 different tanks, half of them were my prized possessions. Don't beat yourself up too much! Live and learn! Like said, everyone has and does make mistakes.

Anyways, I'm going to say the death was caused by a mini cycle from changing out the pads like someone suggested. Just rinse the pads off till they start falling apart and then replace. It's been 2 years since I've had to replace one. Just rinse when it starts getting gunky or water flow slows and you'll be in good shape. If your media is the type where the carbon is sewed inside you may want to try to cut that out though. Sometimes certain types can release the toxins they caught back into the water after sitting too long, but it's not a common occurrence so you should be in good shape till the canister shows up

Ohh.... boy, that might be it. I did about a 50% water change and changed the filters on Monday. I have a canister on the way and will be able to put ceramic rings in there. Ill keep everyone posted.

What size is your tank

55 gallons

I would rule out the shark being the killer I'd keep close eye on him I ha one and I didn't like him he killed 2 platys on me ( mine u he was a baby in a 10 gallon didn't know he needed at least 50)

I would rule out the shark being the killer I'd keep close eye on him I ha one and I didn't like him he killed 2 platys on me ( mine u he was a baby in a 10 gallon didn't know he needed at least 50)

Wouldn't rule him out sorry

Wouldn't rule him out sorry

Yeah... hes not the killer, hes a victim. He gets chased by the gourami, if I were to chose between him or a one inch demosoni I have winning a fight, it would be the demosoni. Even though hes 7" he is physically incapable of challenging a cichild.

Nitrites are high

Are you using both bottles for the ammonia and nitrate tests (bottle 1, shake test tube, bottle 2)? Shaking the bottles well before testing? I have only seen clear results when people have tested using only bottle 1 and didn't complete the full test using both bottles in proper order.

Are you using both bottles for the ammonia and nitrate tests (bottle 1, shake test tube, bottle 2)? Shaking the bottles well before testing? I have only seen clear results when people have tested using only bottle 1 and didn't complete the full test using both bottles in proper order.

I never shake the bottles before hand, never thought about it... I added seachem prime to the water to help the parameters. I will test in the morning and do a water change with the ro/di water I bought. I was told to only change 5-10 gallons at atime, 2-3 days a week verse one 30-60% change a week. Is this true?

I never shake the bottles before hand, never thought about it... I added seachem prime to the water to help the parameters. I will test in the morning and do a water change with the ro/di water I bought. I was told to only change 5-10 gallons at atime, 2-3 days a week verse one 30-60% change a week. Is this true?

Seachem Prime detoxifies the ammonia, but doesn't get rid of it. Either water change method works. In my goldfish tank I tend to do small water changes every day, but in my 10 gal, I've done 90% a day.

Seachem Prime detoxifies the ammonia, but doesn't get rid of it. Either water change method works. In my goldfish tank I tend to do small water changes every day, but in my 10 gal, I've done 90% a day.

Thanks, the lfs employee told me it is less stressful doing more small ones, so I'll try that.

Shake and bang the bottles on a hard surface before testing. Also check the expiration dates. If you are still seeing clear results and the tests are not expired, you should contact API for new tests because something is definitely wrong with them. A zero result on either ammonia or nitrate will still show up as yellow due to the color of the reagents in the second step. Their customer service is generally excellent.

Ok, that aside, you are definitely in need of some more aggressive wcs to drop your nitrites down to .25ppm or less. You likely also have some level of ammonia present. Daily testing and water changes (no less than 50%) to keep your toxin levels under control until your tank stabilizes. Hopefully things will be to normal soon! :)

Thanks to everyone!!!!'I learned a lot today and am glad to have finally got a thread that multiple people came to support and help me. I'll keep you posted.

I just thought... could I add tetra safestart to get thr good bacteria again?

You can try it, but that stuff isn't really the greatest stuff in the world. You may get lucky and notice it making a difference but to the vast majority it ends up being a waste of money

Back
Top Bottom