What kind of algae eater should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertmarda

Aquarium Advice Freak
At work I have a 20 gallon long tank with 2 mollies, 4 gold pristella tetras, 3 glowlight tetras, 1 upside down catfish, and 2 platies.

I want to get a algae eater that won't grow too big.

I know the ottos would be perfect in size, but I don't think I want to risk having them die due to how they are treated before I even get them. I don't want a common pleco because they grow too big. Any suggestions of an active algae eater that won't grow too big?

Perhaps a snail though they are pretty messy, or you could try a butterfly pleco otherwise known as a hillsteam loach as they only grow at max 4 inches and are much like plecos as they stick to the glass and eat algae and wood. Butterfly plecos are great!

Hillstream loaches are great, but they are truly not tropical and like a lot of water movement.

Aside from BrianNY's plecos, clown, rubber nose (face, lip) or bristlenose plecos all stay around 4-5.

I have tried snails before and find I prefer algae eaters.

I'm not sure I have seen any of these plecos in stores. Are they expensive?

The dwarf albino bristlenose pleco sounds nice because it would add a color other than mostly black to the tank.

Both Menagerie and deeni0z mention BrianNY's plecos. Does BrianNY breed and sell plecos?

The dwarf plecos will max out around 3 inches. I do breed them and currently have 200 or so. The largest of which is just over an inch long now. They grow so slowly.

Alot of people on this forum (and others), have asked about purchasing them from me. I asked some of the advisors what they thought about the ethics and practical manner in which this could be done and did get some very good advice. But it still leaves me with a dilemma.

I would have to purchase shipping supplies. Styrofoam boxes, Thermal pads, cardboard cartons and plastic bags. They would have to be shipped overnight air freight. I'm guessing that the cost of this would be $55.00 per shipment. I don't want to go through the time and effort of packaging, transporting to Fedex, and dealing with the associated hassles if someone wanted 2 fish and were going to net $20 on each deal. This would only make sense to me if someone wanted 10 or more of them, and I could sell them for say $125.00 delivered. So I'm thinking my best option is to just start carting them to all the lfs in the area.

Would you believe I've never seen them in any lfs???? 8O

I can't figure out why.

I bought them online. With shipping they were about $100.

I'm sorry Brian if I put you in the spot light with the other thread about your Pleco's. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom