What kind of community fish are good with breeding kribs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
I appologize for starting another thread. Figure a new thread would get more hits. I am moving a pair of breeding kribs to a new 29 gallon tank so that the fry will not be eaten by all my tigerbarbs like last time. I hate to have a 29 gallon tank with just two kribs. Are there any good fish that i can get that will leave the babies alone? I prefer schooling fish. I have 20 tigers in my other tank but they are alike mini sharks..feeding frenzys..LOL... any schooling fish that will ignore the Kribs and there baby fish? thanks.

Your problem will be in the kribs torturing anythinh else

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

no, most fish will devour fry... if your wanting to breed and raise the fry your going to need the kribs in their own tank, then a fry grow out tank.

to be honest, i dont really want to breed.. i have no need for baby fish... i didnt relize i purchased a mating pair..so now im kind of stuck.. If i keep these two in the 75 gallon tank they breed and the fry are eaten... seems kind of mean doesnt it???? maybe its normal? not sure. I just know that the kribs got kind of mean when they bred a few weeks ago.. i lost some tiger barbs i believe because of this. So i was gonna put the two kribs in a 29 gallon tank that i have as a spare, have them breed...maybe keep one of the babies and put one baby in the 75 gallon, and take the rest to a petstore 35 minutes away... my only other option that i can see is to either keep them in the big tank and have them breed every two months and lose barbs or i can get rid of the male... they just seem so happy together.. I dont mind taking baby fish to the petstore every few months..they will take them for me...

to be honest, i dont really want to breed.. i have no need for baby fish... i didnt relize i purchased a mating pair..so now im kind of stuck.. If i keep these two in the 75 gallon tank they breed and the fry are eaten... seems kind of mean doesnt it????

Sounds like nature to me. Like Freak said the issue will be with the pair themselves, but having enough cover for the other fish will lessen the danger to them. It won't be hard especially in a tank that size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

OK

so i successfully moved the two kribs to there own 29 gallon tank. I filled the new tank with water from a pwc from the old tank, and i took the whole AC 70 filter from my older tank and put it in the new 29 gallon tank...foam inserts and all, so hopefully this acts like an instant cycle.. Now that the kribs are in there own tank do i have to add Dither fish in there? or just leave them alone? they dont seem shy...swimming fine.. and when they bred the first time, they showed zero agression to each other.(of course they were all over the tiger barbs). will be alone now make them turn on each other after they breed?

Back
Top Bottom