What kind of crab is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

breelle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So tomorrow I'll be getting a crab from some friends who don't want him anymore, and they have no clue what kind of crab he is, they've had him for about a year, if you guys know I would love some tips on how to care for them as I'm new to the who crab thing ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393406228.935135.jpg

Yeah, looks like a freshwater fiddler based on the large claw to me. Have an area where he can climb out of the water or else he will try to escape. Ask me how I know.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry, I missed the last pic nvm

Yeah, looks like a freshwater fiddler based on the large claw to me. Have an area where he can climb out of the water or else he will try to escape. Ask me how I know.

Yeah but... Fiddlers usually have a large SKINNY claw and the other one is usually 4 times smaller... His is only half the size smaller... And he's kind of large too... Not huge but a bit bigger than a golf ball

Check out pics of mud crabs and see if they match.

Not a mud crab... maybe a different species of fiddler?

Not a mud crab... maybe a different species of fiddler?

Defiantly not a mud crab, he doesn't have those flat feet in the back
And fiddlers claws are usually longer and thinner and a lot more light colored than the crabs body...

I was going though some google images and found a crab that had the same exact colors and features as him (it was most likely a female though) and there was no specific name other than a type of mangrove crab

It is a red clawed crab. I sell a lot of these little fellows.

Unless there's completely another type of crab called a red clawed crab other than the ones sold at petsmart
Then he's defiantly not a red claw

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394878537.069241.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394878571.069513.jpg

Maybe an undescribed species. Where did you get him again? Looks kinda like an indonesian (I think.....) species.

Not sure type of crab this is but it is possible the one of the claws was injured/lost and is in the process of regrowing. Thus the smaller size and (at first glance) fiddler crab identification.

I HAVE FINALLY FIGURED OUT WHAT HE IS!! He is a baby FRESHWATER (not brackish) purple thai devil and when they molt a few times they turn a gorgeous purple color. I want thank all of you for your help haha :)

Cool!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Basically the little crabs are in huge abundance across the world and different regions can have different kinds or just many variations regionally. But the care is similar. They need somewhere to get out of the water and they do like to have some sand, and some Marine or aquarium salt in the water for best health. Petco usually stocks a food called Crab Cuisine from Hikari and it has stuff in it which will be beneficial for molting. I would also recommend a piece of plain (not flavored) Cuttlebone from the bird section, just rinse and put in shell up and it will float and eventually waterlog and sink. I then put it in like a surfboard in the sand.

They are scavengers and will eat a varied diet, but like meaty foods. Hikari also has a sinking bottom feeder wafer it has orange-ish color around the label, I would break it into pieces for it.

There are floating islands for little turtles which I really recommend and some plants, or driftwood twigs so it can easily climb up to it.

Here is a pic of my lily pad
60074-albums11380-picture59484.jpg

Here is one which would always climb up the out flow tube and sit under the duct taped plastic wrap in the back on the tank brace. So make SURE to seal up any spaces it could get out. I used doubled kitchen plastic wrap and had all the plastic clean and duct taped it down. There is black duct tape now so it can match the tank trim.
60074-albums11380-picture53776.jpg

Back
Top Bottom