What kind of lighting do I need for my sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ducati2242

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im about to start building my custom tank . Not that big , 200 ltrs , with a 60 ltr sump. 55 us gallons and 15 us gallons . Ive purchased all my skimmers ,pumps , UV lighting , Hood etc. Ive never thought about sump lighting untill now . Do I need sump lighting and if so what . Ive got a metal halide / lighting hood with built in timers moon lights and strip lights . And my return , after sump , will be going through a UV lighting system . I intend to have live rock and sand in my sump . But what lighting.

you dont need one. if your not growing cheato or anything else there is no need for a lighting. if its under the stand you can put a small shop light there to see when workign in the sump. or you can put some cheato in your sump and put a light on it. otherwise your rocks dont need light

If you decide to use chaeto, which I recommend, you can use a basic clip on shop light and us a cf mogul base bulb.

If you use cheato, I would reccomend it. I just use a cheap plant grow light I got a Wal Mart for mine and it works great....

Looks like you got some very good advice. I agree that if you are not doing macro algea then you really dont need any lighting down there. If you are doing macro then simple lighting as mentioned above will do the job.

Back
Top Bottom