What kind of lights for a 36" 50 gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jm667

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 50 gallon tank that is 36" x 18" and 19" high and am trying to figure what type of lights to get to put under a canopy. I already built the stand, and plan to build a matching canopy to go over it. I have a glass top for it, and the tank also came with a single strip T8 fixture ( I have no bulb for it yet though but will get one if it is suggested to utilize this fixture). So what I want to do is either get light fixtures that can sit on top of the glass top, and still allow me to put a canopy over it, or to get fixtures that can mount to the underside of the canopy. I want to have a good deal of plants, but they will be low to mid light plants because I do not plan on injecting CO2. Maybe somewhere down the road when I learn about it, but right now I am already spending too much money on this setup! So for now I just want enough light where I won't need CO2 and won't get algae buildups. If something like flourish excel works in place of CO2, that will be fine. And if I find out that trying to get lights for a canopy is more trouble than its worth, I might ditch the canopy idea. I just thought it would look nicer with one that matches the stand rather than looking at a light fixture sitting over the top of it.

Back
Top Bottom