What kind of moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got some moss for free and don't know what it is. There. Are 2 different kinds

image-3439430481.jpg

Yea it is I thought it was fake at first

Well do some comparisons for Riccia too.

That would be my guess though.

People tie it onto driftwood and also stainless steel screen, rocks, etc.

I tried to tie it to a plastic needle point circle and it worked alright but eventually ended up floating off. Mostly due to the snails rooting around in it and the vac catching it on occasion. :(

You can let both kinds float, but will get some stuck in filter intake. You can tie with thread onto what ever it is, the Java Moss will attach when it feels like it! But So far I haven't been able to keep Subwassertang in one spot, long enough to get it established.

Free is good!!!

Well do some comparisons for Riccia too.

That would be my guess though.

People tie it onto driftwood and also stainless steel screen, rocks, etc.

I tried to tie it to a plastic needle point circle and it worked alright but eventually ended up floating off. Mostly due to the snails rooting around in it and the vac catching it on occasion. :(

You can let both kinds float, but will get some stuck in filter intake. You can tie with thread onto what ever it is, the Java Moss will attach when it feels like it! But So far I haven't been able to keep Subwassertang in one spot, long enough to get it established.

Free is good!!!

image-2748684870.jpg

I like using rubber bands because in a month or 2 once its established I can pull on the band and it'll break right off. I hope with my light levels and co2 it'll grow quick.

How fast did yours grow? I just tested the par where it's placed at and it was 150-160 lol

wow! mine was about double in 6 months for the Sub. (low light conditions) and the Java Moss probably doubles in 3, again low light, and low liquid ferts.

In my little tank where I have better light I see a marked faster growth, although still slow, especially in comparison for high light and CO2 LOL!

I will be PM'ing you for some in couple months!;) That is High par, watch out for algae. You may need a screen to reduce your light!!!

wow! mine was about double in 6 months for the Sub. (low light conditions) and the Java Moss probably doubles in 3, again low light, and low liquid ferts.

In my little tank where I have better light I see a marked faster growth, although still slow, especially in comparison for high light and CO2 LOL!

I will be PM'ing you for some in couple months!;) That is High par, watch out for algae. You may need a screen to reduce your light!!!

I just got everything balanced out It took a while to figure out what worked for me. I've had my share of experiences with algae mostly bga and bba.

Just talked to the lfs it came from and he's telling me its flame moss is that possible?

Well the other moss could be, the one we thought might be Java Moss. You can reference the images online and you can see how Sub., Riccia and Flame Moss look...:confused:

Back
Top Bottom