What kind of mutant is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
Let me start by saying I don't have a picture yet. So, I'm in Spain visiting family and we go into a lfs and I start checking out the fish. They all look beautiful and the plants look really healthy too. They have GBR's that are absolutely gorgeous. Then I start looking at the goldfish...they have a tank with a goldfish that I had never seen before. The little guys are about 1" long, but the unusual thing is that they look "blown up." Literally like someone blew air into them through the mouth and turned them into tiny balloons. They could barely move their little fins to swim around. I could tell their little bodies were filled with air. I went online and the closest thing I found is a pearl scale goldfish, but it isn't quite the same. Now my mother wants one. Does anyone know how big they get? The guy at the store said they get about 4" maximum. Does anyone have any info? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I will add a pic next time I go to this store.

I think it's called "ping pong pearl scale", but I can't find any info on how big they get.

I would get one just because I like oddball looking fish

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hahaha I need to find a video of them swimming!

They are like the T-rex of goldfish!

Those poor fish :(

I know. But I feel the same way about the ones with bags under their eyes, and the Oranda ones. It looks painful. Definitely not natural.

I feel bad for these poor fish. I bet people had to have bred them that way. :( That really bothers me.

Not to mention cats and dogs bred a certain way for aesthetic purposes for people and it gives them health issues. But people still do it and still buy those animals. It needs to not happen to all animals, whether aquatic, land, or air dwelling creatures.

I feel bad for these poor fish. I bet people had to have bred them that way. :( That really bothers me.

Not to mention cats and dogs bred a certain way for aesthetic purposes for people and it gives them health issues. But people still do it and still buy those animals. It needs to not happen to all animals, whether aquatic, land, or air dwelling creatures.

I agree. Chihuahuas are definitely an example. A bit too far from their ancestors. Or hairless cats, or dwarf horses, and the list goes on...

Well now I feel bad.... I thought they were just naturally ugly. Hell I am, just figured it happens sometimes

They look cartoonish. I can't imagine the culling process to achieve such a distorted body shape. Sad that orandas and other fancy breeds can probably swim circles around them. Perhaps their lifespan is cut short because of health reasons, thus the "small" maximum size.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We are all different.
This is horrible IMO.
I do appreciate what breeding has done for gold fish(their varieties) and what has been done with so many other fish.
We wouldn't even have albino fish if we did not promote their survival,as in nature even their life span is short(hours to days at best!)
The balloon ,tattooed other "freak" fish are a shame of our society IMO.
I can't imagine this fish even being able to survive in anything but species only tank.
Any other competition for food,space ,possibly a moment of comfort(hard to imagine for these guys) is insult upon injury IMO.
Please don't encourage(give money to) things that make you feel morally bankrupt.
Possibly some good come from this(these fish) ,I can't guess what and know it was not the sought out result of these breedings,BUT?

Apparently, these are uber popular in Japan, where the mutation was created. When I asked the store clerk if this was a mutation, he told me that goldfish are all mutations, which I guess is true. They are all mutated carp.

Back
Top Bottom