What kind of plants are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can someone please tell me why kinds of plants these are

Attachments

• image-685236426.jpg
    image-685236426.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 89
  • image-94140200.jpg
    image-94140200.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 83
First one looks like wisteria and the second one looks like maybe rotala indica, not 100% sure on that one though

The fact that the bugger is growing sideways in the second picture makes me thing that it's rotala rotundifolia.

The fact that the bugger is growing sideways in the second picture makes me thing that it's rotala rotundifolia.

Out of curiosity, whats the difference between the two? I can never tell them apart.

Sorry to sort of hijack your thread

Rotala rotundifolia has been used synonymously with rotala indica for many years, but they are very much distinct species. True rotala indica was previously also called ammania bonsai.

Rotala Indica:

rotalaindica.jpg

Rotala Rotundifolia:

rotalaindica2-300x225.jpg

Rotundifolia has many, many variations, ranging from oranges to pink to purple, and then there's just plain green. They've all got names too it seems (colorata, green, Singapore, etc).

Last edited:
I have some rotala magenta (same thing as rotundifolia, it's just a deep red/pink color) and some colorata. The Magenta colors up nicely while the colorata stays green. Mine also tends to lean and the stem grows in odd directions.

I thought Rotala Magenta is actually Rotala Macrandra v. Narrowleaf. It's not a color variant of Rotala Rotundifolia. Under high light my R. Rotundifolia wanted to grow horizontally and was actually trying to carpet so it got removed.

Back
Top Bottom