What kind of pleco is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Master_core

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I picked up this pleco 2 weeks ago. However there was not a detailed name at the store, it just said pleco. Im guessing it's just a common pleco but I'm not sure. Anyone know for sure what kind it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Attachments

• image-2438801242.jpg
    image-2438801242.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 154
  • image-3154809301.jpg
    image-3154809301.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 151
No problem, here's a picture of mine with evil eyes

It looks like they have the same markings

Attachments

• Pleco.jpg
    Pleco.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 349
How big is the tank?

I second that question. Not suspecting that yours isn't (as we don't know yet), but just a warning: Common Plecos have a rather large bioload and get huuuuuuge. Most reach a foot, and some are even capable of reaching two feet. Please just be sure that your tank is going to be big enough for this fish at its adult size.

Cool. yeah it looks pretty similar. I have a 45 gal. Prob not big enough for the pleco later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Looks like a common to me, too. I do disagree on the 300 gallon minimum mentioned, however. The tank size needs to be 55 minimum with no other fish present in my opinon. The primary concern with ANY tank size (over 55, obviously) is your ability to clean up after the fish (these are not cleanup fish, you'll spend as much time cleaning their poop as you would have cleaning any algae they might eat, for example).

They grow REALLY fast. I'd take him back and get either a rubberlip or bristlenose pleco. They're only 6 inches full grown.

I too disagree on the minimum 300 gallons, that is a bit much, I'd say for a full grown Common Pleco around 100-150g should be rather sufficient. Anyways, I totally agree the better decision would be trading in that common pleco for a bristlenose. Would you rather have a massive, fast growing, extremely messy 2 foot Common Pleco outgrowing your tank, or a lil' Bristlenose that will max out at 4-6 inches? Lol.

mandy2936 said:
I too disagree on the minimum 300 gallons, that is a bit much, I'd say for a full grown Common Pleco around 100-150g should be rather sufficient. Anyways, I totally agree the better decision would be trading in that common pleco for a bristlenose. Would you rather have a massive, fast growing, extremely messy 2 foot Common Pleco outgrowing your tank, or a lil' Bristlenose that will max out at 4-6 inches? Lol.

Ya, that's just for a more free-to-stock tank. The pleco takes up a vast majority of your bioload in most normal sized tanks. IMO lol.

This is one of my plecos. He loves pigging out on his algae wafer treats :)

Last edited:
Yes, and it stopped growing (which is thought of by most people to be cruel and unhealthy, certainly not in the best interest of the fish) due to the tank size years ago.

If you'd spent your life in a packing crate I'm sure you'd stop growing once you ran out of space, too.

Back
Top Bottom