What kind of pleco is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I bought an algae eater back in February of this year and it was quite small. He/she has grown a lot since then. I was shocked when I noticed how big this thing had gotten! Can someone help ID the kind of pleco this is? I have it in a 10 gallon tank, but I'm afraid that it has outgrown it.

JC
That looks like a common Pleco to me. They get very big and are quite messy. Better to return that one and maybe consider buying a small variety of Pleco like a bristlenose.

JC
That looks like a common Pleco to me. They get very big and are quite messy. Better to return that one and maybe consider buying a small variety of Pleco like a bristlenose.

^^+1^^
To boot most new keepers think they will eat algae which they really don't too much .
All plecs whether 'regular' or bushy/bristle nose need real wood to rasp on as this aides their digestion.

Thanks for the info guys. Our family has really enjoyed our pleco and we want to keep it. What size of a tank do you think would be appropriate for it? My current stock is the pleco and a few glo-fish. I've been wanting to upgrade to a larger tank and this seems like a good time to do so.

He's a sail fin plecosusmus, they are gorgeous, they do get pretty big but usually take along time to grow to the 24"+. Just alittle advice, if you don't feed him wafers much he won't grow as fast. I would get at least a 30-55 gallon. If you get a 30 gallon you might have to up grade in the future. I have 2 in a 75 gallon. I love them. To me they help. Some say they are messy mostly because if you have a planted tank they will sometimes pull up the plants. Personally mine help my tank, and so neat to watch them. Oh and another note: the more fish you have the more food they get, the faster, bigger they get.

Just wanted to add that when they say that pleco’s are messy they are referring to the amount and size of their poop.

When I was a kid, common and sailfin Plecos were about the only varieties of plecos available. Probably because they are so easily bred in captivity. So many of the fancy smaller variety Plecos are wild caught fish. Evidently not so easy to breed and much more expensive. The bristlenose and clown Pleco are the only compact varieties I know of that are readily bred in captivity. IMO it's really irresponsible for LFS to continue selling large type Plecos.
Many of the fancy small variety Plecos are becoming more affordable. My 3" Gold Nugget and 5" Dull Eyed Royal both cost about 25 bucks a peice and are 6 y.o. obviously not going to outgrow my tank, no re-homing.
As for actually aiding in keeping algae to a minimum, the bristlenose gets my vote.

He's a sail fin plecosusmus, they are gorgeous, they do get pretty big but usually take along time to grow to the 24"+. Just alittle advice, if you don't feed him wafers much he won't grow as fast. I would get at least a 30-55 gallon. If you get a 30 gallon you might have to up grade in the future. I have 2 in a 75 gallon. I love them. To me they help. Some say they are messy mostly because if you have a planted tank they will sometimes pull up the plants. Personally mine help my tank, and so neat to watch them. Oh and another note: the more fish you have the more food they get, the faster, bigger they get.

Thank you for identifying him! He gets wafers on a daily basis. I usually feed him two a day. I found a nice 60 gallon aquarium that I want to invest in. I plan on getting it after the holidays.

I found a nice 60 gallon aquarium that I want to invest in. I plan on getting it after the holidays.

Way to step up to the plate !(y)
You sound like you have enough interest and dedication to enjoy the hobby for many years.Congrats on the choice to upgrade.The fish will grow and you will see.....

Thank you for identifying him! He gets wafers on a daily basis. I usually feed him two a day. I found a nice 60 gallon aquarium that I want to invest in. I plan on getting it after the holidays.
Just a little note on feeding him the wafers. They are very good for them. But he's gonna get very big very fast. He'll love the 60 gallon. And so will you. Just know he's gonna grow really fast feeding him 2 a day. I give mine zucchini sometimes but I don't feed them wafers anymore. My other fish eat them too and tank to get bloated. Plecos will feed off your tank and grow alittle slower. But if your in a hurry for it to grow, you got the idea to feed it more. Just say'n.

coralbandit said:
Way to step up to the plate !(y)
You sound like you have enough interest and dedication to enjoy the hobby for many years.Congrats on the choice to upgrade.The fish will grow and you will see.....

Thanks, I have really immersed myself in the hobby lately. I hope it lasts a lifetime!

Just a little note on feeding him the wafers. They are very good for them. But he's gonna get very big very fast. He'll love the 60 gallon. And so will you. Just know he's gonna grow really fast feeding him 2 a day. I give mine zucchini sometimes but I don't feed them wafers anymore. My other fish eat them too and tank to get bloated. Plecos will feed off your tank and grow alittle slower. But if your in a hurry for it to grow, you got the idea to feed it more. Just say'n.

Thanks for the tip! I feed mine cucumber and zucchini a few times per week, and all of my fish seem to like it. I will definitely cut down on the feedings to one wafer a day. I'm thinking about switching from the wafers to Repashy so that I can spread it out on something like driftwood. That way he can eat it throughout the day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom