What kind of sand to use???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bahonj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm upgrading from a 55 gal to 125 gal tank. Was thinking about using sand but realized there are a bunch of different sands out there to choose from.

I was reading about pool sand, coral sand, qickrete sand, reef sand and so on and so on.

I need advise on what to use. I have a API XL cannister filter, not sure how sand would affect it.

Help !!!!

depends on tank. is it freshwater or saltwater if fresh i would go with eco complete nice mix of black and very few brown.

It's a freshwater tank. Haven't been able to find black sand. Was think about mixing black sand with crushed coral for higher PH. My tap water is a little soft. The tank will have a 7" Oscar and about 10 tank mates.

I used 'freshwater' sand from petco

Attachments

• image-528188309.jpg
    image-528188309.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 68
  • image-2475398934.jpg
    image-2475398934.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 72
Plays and is cheaper just have to rinse and my dads tank is doing well with others had it Bout a month

I wouldn't buy any sand from petco. Or any pet store for that matter. They are way over price. I bought pool sand from a pool store. It's a heavier grain and doesn't kick up as easy play sand. Less cloudy too.

Attachments

• image-238829644.jpg
    image-238829644.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 68
I wouldn't buy any sand from petco. Or any pet store for that matter. They are way over price. I bought pool sand from a pool store. It's a heavier grain and doesn't kick up as easy play sand. Less cloudy too.

Forgot to mention it was like 12$ for 40lbs

Play sand Home Depot was 5$ filled my 29 easy even after rinsing and still have more than half the bag left

My region doesn't have pool filter sand. But if your Home Depot has it, then that's the way to go. If not, Petco has it, it's just more expensive. It doesn't cloud water and it settles really fast.

My region doesn't have pool filter sand. But if your Home Depot has it, then that's the way to go. If not, Petco has it, it's just more expensive. It doesn't cloud water and it settles really fast.

Yep you don't have to rinse as much using pool filter sand. I've heard a lot of stories where ppl would rinse 6-8 times and it would still cloud up

Lol I rinsed mine 3 or 4 times and it settled I like for hours I got it from home dept

Back
Top Bottom