What Kind of Snail is This?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm looking into these Assassins. Anybody else agree I should try some out? My LFS has some. How many should I get?

I just read about the Assassin Snails, I'm 100% convinced at the moment that I should buy 3 of them when I go to the LFS tomorrow. They should be ok eating the pond snails for some time imo. I am also getting my bristlenose pleco tomorrow! I have a new piece of DW in the tank for him.

Attachments

• image-3999328557.jpg
    image-3999328557.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 55
I would avoid getting assassin snails unless you truly want to. They do eliminate the snails, but on the other hand, when all the snails are dead, what will the assassin snails thrive on?

I had the same issue before, and I just placed a piece of lettuce in my tank, leave it overnight, wait for the pond snails to be on it, remove the lettuce, and repeat. It will take time, but that is my preference.

If you prefer to have the assassin snail do it for you, go for it, but I would only recommend 1.

So after 2 weeks of owning the Assassin snail I have never seen him eat a snail once, and I'm pretty sure he is dead right now. I assume he died from starvation, but there was so much food!

From what I am aware of, I am pretty sure they do not reproduce

Someone should tell the assassins in my tank that! Lol! I started with 3 and now have over 200! If you don't want any snails in your tank try zucchini slice it length wise and drop it in when the pond snails cluster on it scoop them out. Also watch for their egg sacs and scrub those off.

What fresh water fish will eat snails?? There was just one in my sons tank and then today I walked by and there were 4; 2 larger and 2 tiny. They were stowaways in some plants. I would like something that I can feed and keep alive but that will eat these snails too they gross my husband out.

What fresh water fish will eat snails?? There was just one in my sons tank and then today I walked by and there were 4; 2 larger and 2 tiny. They were stowaways in some plants. I would like something that I can feed and keep alive but that will eat these snails too they gross my husband out.

What size is your tank? Loaches like snails however they get large and aren't suitable for anything smaller than a 65gal in my opinion.

What size is your tank? Loaches like snails however they get large and aren't suitable for anything smaller than a 65gal in my opinion.
I have a 10 gal tank, no fish yet should be able to get some Thursday took water in to be tested last night and it was almost right.

Someone should tell the assassins in my tank that! Lol! I started with 3 and now have over 200! If you don't want any snails in your tank try zucchini slice it length wise and drop it in when the pond snails cluster on it scoop them out. Also watch for their egg sacs and scrub those off.

Really? They normally only breed in brackish water. Maybe I am thinking about zebra nerite snails...

That is true to my understanding as well however my tank has disproved that theory lol!

I was talking about it breeding without a mate. I only have one in my tank. And good news! He is alive!, he was just awkwardly positioned in the gravel. The pond snails are growing larger in numbers.... I was debating purchasing three or four more Assassin Snails to help this guy out, I realize they will start to reproduce, but from what I hear it's only 1 egg about every three weeks? That is manageable in my opinion.

I have no experience with having only one sorry. Like I said earlier I bought 3 to start an try to clear up the outbreak of pond snails. After exhausting all other alternatives. (Besides getting loaches I didn't want a school of them) Is the pond snail population really large? Or could it be managed without adding another creature to the mix that you may or may not want in the future?

My MTS are usually out on top of the sand during the day. They burrow too but are always on the sand and the glass.
Also, aren't they live bearers? If so, no eggs to squish. I have yoyo loaches and take the snails from another tank to feed the loaches. They are great at eating them!

I don't know the specific type of pond snails I had but I do know they had tiny clear sacs with small dots inside it adhered every where in my tank and since the obliteration of them I haven't seen a single sac since.

I am curious to figure out what kind of snails these are. They were in a planted tank at the store and needless to say they have reproduced like MAD.
I just started my tank not long ago and when I got the plants for it I ended up with what looks like the same kind of snails. I took 2 of them in to the local fish store with me and asked what they recommended of them they recommended a small Loach but be advised they can get big I was advised of this having only a 10 gal tank. I was also told that these snails reproduce asexually so all it takes is one to get a tank full.

Yeah that's what I've discovered... They are slowly going away now, with the help of my Assassin Snail, and me feeding my fish less food.

Back
Top Bottom