What kind of snail is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GLOBAL1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have no idea how they got into my tank, I have had no new fish or plants for around 2 months, then yesterday I see this on my tank wall and one on my plastic plant, IMAG0266.jpg guess who has a big job to take them all out lol, busy weekend coming up!

Its a ramshorn snail. I have them in all 3 off my tanks. I like them great little cleaners as long as you dont over feed the population shouldn't get out off hand.

I'm guessing if I can see 2 there are probably 50 lol, I got a rabbit snail and I'm happy with that, these have to go

I have them, I hate them, they eat my plants... but they also clean pretty well and are a natural part of an ecosystem so I just leave mine, too much of a hassle to pick out + you won't see their eggs thus you'll be cleaning every other day, lower your feedings and they will die off on their own.

I don't know if mine are ramshorn as I've been told pest snails can look like ramshorn but here's a picture of mine I took out before I added my plants and this was only about 1/4-1/2 of them And my tanks full again.
60kZpPL.jpg

Those are ramshorns in your hand.
I’ve heard about them eating plants but I’ve never seen it happen in my Planted tank.

I tried to starve them out once and they will eat what they can when nothing else is available.

I tried to starve them out once and they will eat what they can when nothing else is available.
So if I try to starve them then they turn to the plants? I have no other fish in my tank that eats plants that I'm aware of, the rainbow I had that did passed a few months ago.

When I first got the Ramshorns I was overfeeding. The population exploded. I tried to starve them out and they started eating plants and other snails, my beloved Mystery Snails. I had to spend an afternoon tearing the tank down, changing the gravel substrate where 90% of them were and inspecting and removing eggs on everything to get it under control.

I watch their numbers much more diligently now.

When I first got the Ramshorns I was overfeeding. The population exploded. I tried to starve them out and they started eating plants and other snails, my beloved Mystery Snails. I had to spend an afternoon tearing the tank down, changing the gravel substrate where 90% of them were and inspecting and removing eggs on everything to get it under control.

I watch their numbers much more diligently now.
Yeah i have about 25 in the tank right now that I can visually see, and every other day I have a few dead and stuck to my filter inlet, I just noticed my kangaroo creek rainbows are plant munchers which makes no sense as they get fed twice daily and a wide variety of premium Food.

Sometimes you just want a little salad with your steak and potatoes!

25 isn’t bad. I would suggest you pick all out but 5! Leave the 5 prettiest. My puffer is always ready to take care of excess snails. They go to his tank.

My old tank was so bad it looked the gravel was alive and moving.

Sometimes you just want a little salad with your steak and potatoes!

25 isn’t bad. I would suggest you pick all out but 5! Leave the 5 prettiest. My puffer is always ready to take care of excess snails. They go to his tank.

My old tank was so bad it looked the gravel was alive and moving.
Lol yeah I had it that bad before lol, I was like ohhhh nooooooo lol, I countersunk lettuce every night before lights out for 2 weeks removing the lettuce with many attached in the Am.

The fish only munch the anubias new growth I'm like grr eat the old leaves lol.
They get tubifex, NLS flake,Spirulina flake, frozen blood worms, freeze dried brine, blanched peas, blanched cucumbers and 1 mm NLS pellets.

But what's killing the snails? As mentioned I wake up with them dead and stuck to my inlet.

Anything that might have metals in it? I just removed the substrate from my nursery tank. It was killing off the inverts but the fish were fine. I think the inverts grazing off it they were ingesting the metals.

Anything that might have metals in it? I just removed the substrate from my nursery tank. It was killing off the inverts but the fish were fine. I think the inverts grazing off it they were ingesting the metals.
No I don't have any metals in the tank what so ever, I did get a TDS Meter but had to send it back cause it didn't work waiting on replacement , I don't know if that will tell me but there's nothing in the tank thats metal.

Maybe ferts/excel killing them or my herbalexrodi that is a jerk and is mean to everything whenever I feed

They hate Excel and anything ferts unless it’s real low. Nippy fish will definitely kill them off. I had to take my Honey Gourami back to the LFS. Hovered over the snails like a Death Star.

They hate Excel and anything ferts unless it’s real low. Nippy fish will definitely kill them off. I had to take my Honey Gourami back to the LFS. Hovered over the snails like a Death Star.
Lol your choice of words cracks me up[emoji23], I could understand if it was a nerite or a specialty snail but these are just ramshorn lol, my herbalexrodi is just a little monster, probably from getting harassed by the male irani red that's 4x her size, now she's just like come at me bro lol.

I dose 5ml thrive weekly and excel 3x a week
n9Qf8d6.png

Back
Top Bottom