What kind of snail is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Need a snail expert: This was sold to me as a Gold Inca Snail, is it? And are they asexual?

Attachments

• gary.jpg
    gary.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 27
Looks like a gold mystery snail. Maybe it’s the same thing. You would have to have a male and a female for reproduction.

I raise purples and pinks.
IMG_2599.jpg. IMG_2523.jpg

Does it look like this when it’s out wandering about?

Last edited:
I have them, I hate them, they eat my plants... but they also clean pretty well and are a natural part of an ecosystem so I just leave mine, too much of a hassle to pick out + you won't see their eggs thus you'll be cleaning every other day, lower your feedings and they will die off on their own.

I don't know if mine are ramshorn as I've been told pest snails can look like ramshorn but here's a picture of mine I took out before I added my plants and this was only about 1/4-1/2 of them And my tanks full again.
60kZpPL.jpg
Have you tried an aquarium salt treatment for about 3 weeks? Might take care of those snails rather quickly.

Have you tried an aquarium salt treatment for about 3 weeks? Might take care of those snails rather quickly.
My tank is moderately planted so no salt for me, I looked the tank over today I only have about 10-15 in there right now, they are dying off on their own, now there could be 50,000 under my Texas holey rock but I have to pull that up to see lol. But no I can't add salt and never would for snails only in a hospital tank for a disease that's treatable by salt.

Ok. Lol. Just saying as a last resort. I actually keep a teaspoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons in my tanks with plants even. The ppm is low enough it doesn't affect the plants. Not a popular choice but I don't have issues with algea or fungus and I've kept fish full life spans. Just my own experience with salt.

Ok. Lol. Just saying as a last resort. I actually keep a teaspoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons in my tanks with plants even. The ppm is low enough it doesn't affect the plants. Not a popular choice but I don't have issues with algea or fungus and I've kept fish full life spans. Just my own experience with salt.
But the thing is theres really no reason to have salt in a freshwater aquarium unless it's brackish, then you get plants that can handle up to 1.100 where as brackish fish like (species dependant) 1.015.

Ya I've heard that. I learned this from a guy with over 20 years experience in FW tanks. Not saying it's a guideline to perfection but it seems to work

Ya I've heard that. I learned this from a guy with over 20 years experience in FW tanks. Not saying it's a guideline to perfection but it seems to work
I used to do it many years ago. The fish stores all said it was a good idea. I don't think it hurt anything, but I never kept plants back then.

I used to use tiny amounts of salt. Was told it helps fish with slime coat. And that tap water is often missing what would usually occur naturally. But stopped. It didn’t seem to really be helping and was sure it could hurt the snails and plants.

I used to use tiny amounts of salt. Was told it helps fish with slime coat. And that tap water is often missing what would usually occur naturally. But stopped. It didn’t seem to really be helping and was sure it could hurt the snails and plants.
About snails, do you supplement calcium for yours?

I feed foods high in calcium and when I have young growing Tumms are a big hit. PH is the most important thing. 7.4 or higher. Anything lower and the water leaches minerals out of the shell.

Tums? Interesting, learn something new everyday. When I am positive my tank is cycled I am going to attempt to breed snails. My Inca or mystery snail won't come out of his shell for me to check if he is a boy or a girl lol.

Back
Top Bottom