What kind to get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grannysneo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Please no fussing. I have a 15 g tank with 2 firebelly newts. I would like to add 2 round belly goldfish in it. What kind would be best? I have a place for them when they grow( my brother has ponds/tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you just like the color, some fire wag Platys would give you Orange/yellow and you wouldn't have to move them.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The thing about that is newts like cooler water . Platys are tropical . That's why I was going with small goldfish. I went to 2 different stores today and their fish was kinda bigger than I wanted I would love to be able to add larger fish but even I know better. I tried Guppys and they disappeared

The thing about that is newts like cooler water . Platys are tropical . That's why I was going with small goldfish. I went to 2 different stores today and their fish was kinda bigger than I wanted I would love to be able to add larger fish but even I know better. I tried Guppys and they disappeared

How cold are we talking? I'm assuming the tank is indoors and the water temperature is close to 70. Platys will do okay, even of it isn't "ideal" however they will not grow as quickly. Goldfish won't stay small for long, either.

I called a lfs that's a fish only store and asked him. He said platys would be at risk for fungus at those temps so I bought 2 tiny calico fantails. They look to be maybe an inch. He suggested comets but I wanted the fancier round bodies

This won't really work at all. 15 gallons wouldn't even be suitable for just the goldfish alone. The issue is the waste production that accompanies goldfish. You said no fussing which means you probably had already heard. I say all of that to say this,

If your dead set on using goldfish be prepared to remove them in a few months. It just won't work for long, or you could find more suitable tank mates that will work longer. Good luck!

2-3 times as large. Is there anything I can do? I really like the goldfish, and I'd hate to give them up, but I would like some more fish.

I don't know why he would say that., Platys are good down to the high 60s.

Any kind of goldfish will outgrow that tank in a few months at best. If that's ok with you, then fantails are probably the least prone to issues in my experience.

I'm hoping to be able to keep them for a few months anyway. If it's too cold to put them outside when time comes I've given fish that didn't work out to the lfs . When this happens I will try the platys . Do you think I could get maybe 3 1m/2f. . I know my newts would probably eat the fry but would the adults be ok

I like the fantails. Especially the calicoes

I'm hoping to be able to keep them for a few months anyway. If it's too cold to put them outside when time comes I've given fish that didn't work out to the lfs . When this happens I will try the platys . Do you think I could get maybe 3 1m/2f. . I know my newts would probably eat the fry but would the adults be ok

I'm not sure if fancy goldfish do well with wintering, but if it were a common goldie you can still move them outside, just fast them for a week and then SLOWLY acclimate to the water temperature and they'll go into hibernation mode.

Jlk would know, she's the goldfish guru.

Hello my name is John and I got some experience with newts and goldfish and trust me 15 is way to small for goldfish, but it's a good size for newts, do u think a beta might do good in low-ish temps, I haven't kept many betas so I would not be the one to ask bout that

From what I understand newts don't do well with the higher temperatures. I bought 2 fantails around an inch . I'm figuring a lot of wAter changes. Do I need to hook up a air stone. I'm running an internal filter

I came home today and both my calico fantails were dead. I just bought them Thursday . I took them back to the store along with a water sample. They use the liquid test . Said it showed just a trace of ammonia. Nitrite and nitrates were fine. My ammonia could of been where they were floating in water dead. Come to find out they were treating that tank for ick. Said they had lost several of them. I got a refund for the dead ones but I hope the ick don't spread to my newts and dojo.

I got up this morning and my dojo loach was dead. After removing him I added some stresscoat . Hope like
H€ll I don't lose my firebelly newts. Everything I know to do for ich goes against them. Like raising temp. Adding salt. Ich meds

Back
Top Bottom