What kinda fish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mikey214 said:
No there is no ammonia in the ten gallon , I put ammonia in the 29 gallon to start my fish less cycle . . .

Ok what did you mean by this?
Mikey214 said:
Can I do that even though my numbers for the 10 gallon tank are all screwed up ? And I added pure ammonia to the 29 gallon in the morning
How are your numbers 'screwed up'?

Mikey214 said:
The four tetras , the two tiny tetras and a small pleco

The pleco will need to be in the 29g when possible. Depending on what type (like a common) it might not even be suitable for the 29.

Mumma.of.two said:
Ok what did you mean by this?

How are your numbers 'screwed up'?

The pleco will need to be in the 29g when possible. Depending on what type (like a common) it might not even be suitable for the 29.

The nitrite and nitrates were high in my ten gallon tank , and I stated the fish less cycle in my 29 gallon tank today by adding pure ammonia

Mikey214 said:
The nitrite and nitrates were high in my ten gallon tank , and I stated the fish less cycle in my 29 gallon tank today by adding pure ammonia

Ok got it. Was as I thought. The 10 is still cycling or is mini cycling. There should be no nitrites at all in a cycled tank. I still stand by my advise.

Mumma.of.two said:
Ok got it. Was as I thought. The 10 is still cycling or is mini cycling. There should be no nitrites at all in a cycled tank. I still stand by my advise.

Ok so when I finally get my 29 gallon fish tank up and running can you explain to me the regular maintainence I should be performing on it , as of now I do a water change every two weeks on the ten gallon because that is what I was told to do by my local fish store :thinking:

Mikey214 said:
Ok so when I finally get my 29 gallon fish tank up and running can you explain to me the regular maintainence I should be performing on it , as of now I do a water change every two weeks on the ten gallon because that is what I was told to do by my local fish store :thinking:

You need to be doing a PWC every week IMO. The defining factor will be you nitrate readings at the end of the week. 25% is usually recommended but if your nitrates are reading high (over 20ppm) you will need to change more or even do two small PWC a week. You need to vacuum your substrate once a week as well to remove all the fish poo and uneaten food. Clean your filter every 1-4 weeks depending on the amount of debris collected. If the water flow is severely obstructed clean ASAP. To clean your filter media just swish it in a bucket of tank water. No need to replace the media unless it is literally falling apart.

With your 10g reading nitrites you will need to be doing a PWC everytime they are over 0.25ppm until there are no more. That means your tank is cycled.
If you haven't already seen it here is the fish in cycling guide. It will explain whats going on in your tank.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Mumma.of.two said:
You need to be doing a PWC every week IMO. The defining factor will be you nitrate readings at the end of the week. 25% is usually recommended but if your nitrates are reading high (over 20ppm) you will need to change more or even do two small PWC a week. You need to vacuum your substrate once a week as well to remove all the fish poo and uneaten food. Clean your filter every 1-4 weeks depending on the amount of debris collected. If the water flow is severely obstructed clean ASAP. To clean your filter media just swish it in a bucket of tank water. No need to replace the media unless it is literally falling apart.

With your 10g reading nitrites you will need to be doing a PWC everytime they are over 0.25ppm until there are no more. That means your tank is cycled.
If you haven't already seen it here is the fish in cycling guide. It will explain whats going on in your tank.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/124/2/-I-just-learned-about-cycling-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Thanks your a huge help ! :thumbsup:

What kind of fish do you guys think I can add to my 29 gallon tank ( after it finishes cycling ) that would go well with my fish in my ten gallon that I will transfer to the 29 gallon tank
My fish in the ten gallon
2 ember tetras
4 black skirt tetras
And 1 pleco

Any thoughts would be appreciated !

Mikey214 said:
What kind of fish do you guys think I can add to my 29 gallon tank ( after it finishes cycling ) that would go well with my fish in my ten gallon that I will transfer to the 29 gallon tank
My fish in the ten gallon
2 ember tetras
4 black skirt tetras
And 1 pleco

Any thoughts would be appreciated !

8 more embers (10 total) more if you like. They are small and look beautiful in a larger school.
4 more black skirts.
Some cories of some kind and a centre peace fish like a opaline gourami?

Mumma.of.two said:
8 more embers (10 total) more if you like. They are small and look beautiful in a larger school.
4 more black skirts.
Some cories of some kind and a centre peace fish like a opaline gourami?

Def thinking about more embers and black skirts ! As im new to this I'm not quite sure what cories are and a center piece ? Opaline gourami ? Pictures if you have them ? :thumbsup:

Cories are bottom feeding catfish. They averagely reach 2-3 inches depending on the one and are very active and in some people's opinion-including mine, and I'm a dude :)-cute. I recommend albinos, pandas, or bronze cories in a school of six for your 29 as they will love that tank size.

A centerpiece is basically a fish that is the focal point of your tank. It is usally a single fish, a pair, or in some occasions, a trio of fish. Those include bigger fish like cichlids, gouramis, killifish, etc. Opaline gouramis are a type of gourami. Look like this:
BlueGourami-6980.jpg

bruinsbro1997 said:
Cories are bottom feeding catfish. They averagely reach 2-3 inches depending on the one and are very active and in some people's opinion-including mine, and I'm a dude :)-cute. I recommend albinos, pandas, or bronze cories in a school of six for your 29 as they will love that tank size.

A centerpiece is basically a fish that is the focal point of your tank. It is usally a single fish, a pair, or in some occasions, a trio of fish. Those include bigger fish like cichlids, gouramis, killifish, etc. Opaline gouramis are a type of gourami. Look like this:

Thanks ! Any other ideas ?

:thinking: what other freshwater center pieces can I use in my tank ?

What kind of pleco is this guy ?

Attachments

• image-1800832479.jpg
    image-1800832479.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 98
I think it's a bristlenose pleco. How big is it? A better quality picture would help.

The picture on the first page definitly looked like a bristlenose pleco, but from this picture i really cant tell

Kuhli Loach said:
I think it's a bristlenose pleco. How big is it? A better quality picture would help.

He is tiny ! And I'll get a better picture soon !

Kuhli Loach said:
Since he is pretty tiny I'm leaning towards bristlenose.

How big do they get ? :thinking: what size tank they need ?

Back
Top Bottom